Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When insults had a certain class

When insults had a certain class

Completely non stalking related but hope you enjoy all the same..
    These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words!
    *A member of Parliament to Disraeli: Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.
    That depends, Sir, said Disraeli on whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.

He had delusions of adequacy. - Walter Kerr

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. - Winston Churchill

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure. - Clarence Darrow

He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary. - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time in reading it. - Moses Hadas

He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends - Oscar Wilde

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one. - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
    Cannot possibly come to first night, will come to second night, if there is one. -* Winston Churchill in response.

I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here. - Stephen Bishop

He is a self-made man and worships his creator. - John Bright

I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial. - Irvin S. Cobb

He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others. - Samuel Johnson

He loves nature in spite of what it did to him. - Forrest Tucker

His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork. - Mae West

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go - Oscar Wilde

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts, for support rather than illumination. - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

He has Van Gogh's ear for music. - Billy Wilder

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.**But this wasn't it. - Groucho Marx*

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts, for support rather than illumination. - Andrew Lang

Could have been said about just about every Chancellor of the Exchequer since 1945.

Lady Aster (I think) to Churchill "Sir, if you were my husband i'd poison your cup of tea" - " Madam, if you were my wife i'd drink it !"

"Mr Churchill, you are drunk!"
    "Yes, Ma'am and you are ugly, but tomorrow I will be sober...."

"This officer would be out of his depth in a car park puddle."

"His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity."

Churchill had all the best lines

After Liverpool had played very badly, Bill Shankly was maintaining an ominous silence in the dressing room prior to ripping the players to bits. The goalie, who had been nutmeg-ed, decided to get things over with and said "Sorry, boss, I should have kept my legs together"

"Naw son", came the withering retort, "yer mither should have kept her legs thegither"

Quote Originally Posted by The Seeker View Post
    Completely non stalking related but hope you enjoy all the same..
    These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to 4-letter words!
    *A member of Parliament to Disraeli: Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.
    That depends, Sir, said Disraeli on whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.

He had delusions of adequacy. - Walter Kerr

He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. - Winston Churchill

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure. - Clarence Darrow

He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary. - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time in reading it. - Moses Hadas

He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends - Oscar Wilde

I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend, if you have one. - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
    Cannot possibly come to first night, will come to second night, if there is one. -* Winston Churchill in response.

I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here. - Stephen Bishop

He is a self-made man and worships his creator. - John Bright

I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial. - Irvin S. Cobb

He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others. - Samuel Johnson

He loves nature in spite of what it did to him. - Forrest Tucker

His mother should have thrown him away and kept the stork. - Mae West

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go - Oscar Wilde

He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts, for support rather than illumination. - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

He has Van Gogh's ear for music. - Billy Wilder

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.**But this wasn't it. - Groucho Marx*
    I enjoyed reading that, a very clever eloquent guy Churchill.

Mr W S Churchill had a fine turn of insult about him, see my tagline for an example.....
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work