Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog food

Dog food

Can anyone reccomend a good dog food to give to my pointer for the last part of her pregnancy? She's five weeks in now, up until now I've just fed both of my dogs wagg worker, it's the only thing that seems to stop them eating grass! I need to put a bit of weight on her. I'm thinking beta puppy since I'll be buying plenty anyway! Any suggestions??

Why do you feel you need to put weight on her. If she is happy on the Wagg worker and looks like she would want to eat a bit more simply give her more. Let her dictate how much she wants to eat. A fit healthy dog whelps much easier than an over weight fat one and carrying about a litter of pups plus extra weight is not good. I liked to give a bitch some chicken and raw eggs but nothing that would just add weight.

To be honest, it was the vet that told me to put weight on her. Because he could 'feel her ribs'. She's always been a slender dog, but I would never call her thin. Just runs about a lot! Usually, if I feed her more, she just craps it out again! I think I might just keep her how she is for now, I'll start her on th beta puppy in a couple of weeks maybe.

Beta puppy gets the thumbs up from me, I started feeding it to my ess 2 weeks before her due date.
    All the pup's were born, all in great condition and at 4 weeks old their eating it to.

Red mills racer works well.
    Had trouble getting my GWP to put weight on when he was younger, switched to this works great and the dogs like it.
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Personally I wouldn't like to change my dogs food significantly that far into pregnancy. I feed mine a working dog food, then in the last two weeks put her on the same brand and type of food but in the puppy version which has a higher level of protein and feed little and often, particularly if they are due a large litter as they cannot eat so much at each sitting due to pressures on the stomach.

Its important to read the labels on dog food, you want a meat or meat meal as the main ingredient, not rice, corn etc The costco kirkland brand used to be good at a reasonable price if you are a member, not sure what it costs now. Petsathome Wainwrights dry food is good too. Lots of expensive bags of rubbish out there, if you are paying 30 plus for a sack of feed make sure its worth giving to the dog, the zooplus site has some crackng (and expensive feeds) on it.
    cheers

Thanks for the advice!

I have started feeding more often, she doesn't seem interested in it all at once. I might just up her daily intake a little for now and see how she does.

A lot of men use the puppyfood from the moment the bitch is 5/6 weeks in pup. Also ideal to feed the bitch puppyfood when she is feeding the pups. It seems the taste of the food already is in the bitches milk. My bitch is about 7 weeks in pup and I started feeding Royal Canin puppyfood in the middle of last week. I have all my pups , bitches in pup and bitches with pup on RC puppyfood. Go on with puppyfood, but use the brand you like and prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabz View Post
    Can anyone reccomend a good dog food to give to my pointer for the last part of her pregnancy? She's five weeks in now, up until now I've just fed both of my dogs wagg worker, it's the only thing that seems to stop them eating grass! I need to put a bit of weight on her. I'm thinking beta puppy since I'll be buying plenty anyway! Any suggestions??
    If you are already feeding a worker
    and she is still slightly thin
    then just up the amount you feed
    using a puppy feed at this point or ever for an adult dog is just a waste of extra cost
    as you are on a stalking site , I would like to think you shoot a few deer
    just add the off cuts of the deer you cull and joint to her 2 daily meals