Thread: change of bullet

change of bullet

i apologise if this is a dumb question but im brave enough to ask . i found a load for my rifle using hornady sst bullets and it shoots them very well indeed. what i would like to know is if i change the bullet from an sst to a nosler partition(the same weight) do i need to start working the load up from scratch again and with different oals or would i be ok just doing it exactly the same but swapping the bullets? cheers guys

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    i apologise if this is a dumb question but im brave enough to ask . i found a load for my rifle using hornady sst bullets and it shoots them very well indeed. what i would like to know is if i change the bullet from an sst to a nosler partition(the same weight) do i need to start working the load up from scratch again and with different oals or would i be ok just doing it exactly the same but swapping the bullets? cheers guys
    Sorry to say but you might have to ......................................... or you might not. Check the manual and see if you can try the same powder charge with both bullets. Some you can some you cannot.

BUT .................................. BUT due to difference of bullet bearing surface and construction you might run into pressure problems. This is why the safe way is reduce the powder charge and work up.

Now seating depth will vary as the profile of the bullets will be different. I only played with one box of 100 grain Partitons and my 6mm rifle did not like them much. I suppose if I had brought more perhaps I could have found a good load. It was my mistake because I was in a rush and dropped off at the gunshop grabbed the box of 6mm 100 grain bullets without reading the box properly. I thought they were ballistic tips .

SST and the Partition have very different profiles. It's anyones guess whether they'll work the same way but i found the SST's a PITA and they behaved very differently to anything else.
    If it were me I'd check the load was within book max, match a few to charge and length using a comparator and give them a go on target and chrono. May just be lucky.

Price of partitions being what they are I doubt you'd want to use a box on development...

personally in my experience a 140gn bullet is a 140gn bullet , be it a sst or a interlock of a partition etc .

but you may have to adjust the seating depth , you may be lucky and it might group spot on , so try it and adjust it if you need to .

I'm with Lee. This is under the assumption that the load you are beginning with is sane and safe. If it's warmish load, I usually back it off to minimum and see how that fares.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I'm with Lee. This is under the assumption that the load you are beginning with is sane and safe. If it's warmish load, I usually back it off to minimum and see how that fares.~Muir

agreed , but as i personally only load medium loads , usually around 2800-2900fps (6.5x55 & 270win) ive luckily never had a problem ,unless i switch over to barnes bullets and then i have to seat around 45-50 tho off the land , but i also thought forward and made a dummy round at the correct seating depth so all i have to do is adjust the die .

thanks for the replies guys. i do still need to get the ssts chrono'd and ive only used them on paper at the moment but the do seem to shoot rather well. i got the noslers to try just incase the ssts do make a bit too much mess, your right as regards price, they should've been 48.80 for a box but i got them for 45. as for load, im using 43.5 grains of h4895 with a length of 2.73. the rifle is a .308