Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ackley improved 22/250

Ackley improved 22/250

I was just wondering if it was worth the hastle getting my rifle Ackley improved. The rifle is a Ruger M77 mk2 vt. Its a very accurate rifle but Ive heard good thinks about the Ackley, and heard the improvements are caliber specific. I have a .308 in the same model but I heard Ackley said it wasnt worth improving. Also what is a rough price for process. cheers Hootsman

My opinion is that you'll be taking a cartridge that is already "over-bore" and adding case capacity, making it even more inefficient. In other words, your return will be minimal.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    My opinion is that you'll be taking a cartridge that is already "over-bore" and adding case capacity, making it even more inefficient. In other words, your return will be minimal.~Muir
    Happy to be corrected Muir but would one advantage perhaps be the lack of trimming required on an AI 22-250 case? I know it was rare for me to have to trim my 243AI cases when I had it yet a 22-250 would normally require some work done to it. I accept that is not the type of advantage the OP is probably looking for though...

So its not worth the hastle then? If its just a case of not resizing your case, I dont think I will bother. cheers Hootsman

Don't give up without reading more on the pluses and minuses of Ackleys.

http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/sierra22-250ailoads.pdf
    I can't find it at the minute, but I read an article which listed which cartridges PO Ackley favoured and which he thought were a waste of time. It's worthwhile trying to track it down. The other thing to keep in mind is that you will need more dies.
    Regards JCS

Aye thats true. more money for dies. Thanks for that Jcs I will have a look for that . cheers Hootsman

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Happy to be corrected Muir but would one advantage perhaps be the lack of trimming required on an AI 22-250 case? I know it was rare for me to have to trim my 243AI cases when I had it yet a 22-250 would normally require some work done to it. I accept that is not the type of advantage the OP is probably looking for though...
    Agreed. That's probably not the advantage most people look for. I've never gotten anything from high intensity cartridge that was Improved but i don't fool myself either. If I have a 60K limit, then I know that I will only reach 60K safely.... usually by adding more powder to the now enlarged case.

I have owned some accurate Ackley rifles** but they were accurate, not higher performance than their parent case unless it was one of the calibers Ackley did approve of Improving (like the 30-30 and other cases) where the case capacity is small for the bore and the action it was chambered it.~Muir

** I worked for a large gunshop where custom chambered guns, "wild cats", could be bought by employees for the trade in price. My boss didn't want law suits from custom chambered guns being operated by inexperienced shooters/loaders. I bought some very fine rifles (usually with dies) for very little money.

the std .22/250 is a bitch for requiring cases to be trimmed for length within 5 shots. a lot of 250 here get the ai treatment due to this. case capacity does increase a bit. Sure it is diminishing returns for velocity as capacity increases but this is a mute argument or we would all shoot .222/.223s and there would be no swift or .22/243 used

Im on my 4 lot of firing on nostler 22/250 brass and haven't trimmed them yet. And use at fairly stiff load. They have grown next to nothing.

If I was having 22/250 ai I would want it for performance gain and wouldn't really be worried about it being abit easier on brass.

Unless your having a rebarrel I wouldn't bother getting your standard barrel redone in ai it just isn't worth the cost. Also alot of smiths wont rechamber a old barrel.

If your getting great accuracy leave well alone I would. You wont gain anything in long run.

Atb jay
    Last edited by jay 22; 15-07-2012 at 08:09.

Look carefully at your dies and set up as when I had a 22/250 I noticed it was the sizing that was making the cases stretch not the shooting.