Problems with Meindl Makalu boots

Freerange

I have owned two pairs of the above boots and have had constant problems with sore little pinkies on numerous trips. I have tried a variety of thickness socks but I have eventually come to the conclusion that my feet might be too wide for the said boots. With this in mind I will be next looking toward the Lowa gtx wide fitting or similar.
Has anyone experienced any similar problems with the Makalus?? or have any further suggestions???? Boots are too damned expensive to be making so many mistakes!!!!

I have a pair of meindl dovre gtx and they are designed to be a wide fitting boot. I struggle with most footwear but ive found these boots to be very comfortable and supportive.

I have a pair of meindl dovre gtx and they are designed to be a wide fitting boot. I struggle with most footwear but ive found these boots to be very comfortable and supportive.

+1 I have wide feet for their size and have experienced the same discomfort in the past find the Dovres are v comfortable.

Thanks guys I will have a look at them- forgot to mention my boots will need crampons, but I like the wide fitting part!!!

I've used meindl's for mountaineering for a while, they're great boots, but some of them have a particular 'fit' that may simply not work for your foot/feet. always test in-store with the right socks and walk about in them for a good 10-15 mins on their sales floor. there should be a good bit of wriggle room too needless to say. found the same issue you mention in a pair of churches, expensive mistake:doh:

'Freerange':
I use LOWA SuperCamp's: and have done for many years: They are all leather with none of the GoreTex to get mucked up and useless: used mine to death and for some extreme endurance events too never any issues !!

Checkout the reviews and email this company as they are extremely helpful and knowledgeable ( UK based sorry ) but same language eh ! ( see video reviews - really good )

http://www.rvops.co.uk/lowa-supercamp-boots-non-gtx-508.html

TOMSK

Thanks guys I will have a look at them- forgot to mention my boots will need crampons, but I like the wide fitting part!!!

if you need them to take crampons, get the glockner GTX. Alternatively ditch the 'hunting boot' idea and go for a Mammut (ex Raichle) Monolith boot. Waterproof, great hiking boot, scrambling/mountaineering. Ok to about -10 C. takes a C rated crampon, and is comfortable to walk in. all for just over one hundred squid.

Thanks guys will check out all your suggestions- don't worry about the boots being UK based I bought the last pair there- save the vat and put it toward the postage and it is heaps cheaper than trying to buy here !!!!
yeah we need mountaineering/scrambling boots that must take a crampon more than your pure hunting boot for the south island alpine work anyway.
I've never thought of myself with a wide foot but maybe after this experience perhaps that is where I should be looking-a wide fitting boot.
Yeah agree PKL that Meindl's are great boots they just dont suit me eh?
Off into the hills tomorrow for four days...ouch i ain't looking forward to limping back !!!!!

wish I was there!

yeah, worth being careful when picking boots that needs to take crampons, if they're not designed stiff enough you'll snap the bottom plate and be left in a dangerous situation.

Back