Thread: Meat testing

Meat testing

There is ground near me that is over run with rabbits. The ground is allegedly a brown field site and ii is suppossed to contain a lot of heavy metals. Can anyone offer advice as to wether the rabbits would injest the metals and how I would test the carcass to see if they are fit for the table. When I've watched the rabbits they all behave normally. Your views guys.

I have a mate who is an environmental consultant and does a lot of work with contaminated ground - I'll ask him and get back to you - think he is out of the country at the moment so it won't be a quick reply
    Ed

Heavy metal contamination! better not to risk it, sites of heavy metal contamination usually not considered safe to build houses on for humans so would not think its a good idea to eat rabbits from them.

I am no expert mind somebody with a bit more knowledge may come along.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Heavy metal contamination! better not to risk it, sites of heavy metal contamination usually not considered safe to build houses on for humans so would not think its a good idea to eat rabbits from them.

I am no expert mind somebody with a bit more knowledge may come along.
    x 2.

Probably logical to think that if normal trace elements are picked up by plant cells that the undesirable ones are too.

just weigh them when shot.
    if they appear heavy then dont eat them!

seriously though, depending on the heavy metals the rabbits could build up very high levels if the compound is persistent. if only 1microgram per kilo of grass and the rabbits eats 150 kg per year.....

sure there will be veterinary test centres but doubt it would be cheap as you would have to test a fair few to be sure

Cheers guys I was just after some advice as never come across it before. My gut feeling is they could injest it, but want something scientific.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    is supposed to contain a lot of heavy metals.
    I'd start by finding out if it is contaminated ground. Local Council should know and if it is, their environmental health officers should be able to give you some idea of risks attached to the type and level of contamination. I say 'should' ........