protective doe

roedeerred

We have a doe locally which is protective of her young to the extreme last week she knocked a lab over and when the woman walking the dog went to intervene she was charged and hit by the doe luckily she stated clear of hoves. Apparantly this we think the same doe has done this before for the past few years.
hopefully it is putting dog walkers off going there as there is no right of way.
anyone else know of similer things I have seen it first hand in bucks charging without realising i was not another deer.
also had a cock pheasant a few years ago would chase most things out of his terratory.

Someone posted a video on here a while back of a roe doe chasing a dog. They aren't stupid animals and they have the capacity to learn. I suppose it's only a matter of statistics that you'll get a brave one that gradually learns that most people and dogs will run away when charged! Unusual yes, but certainly not unheard of!

Edit: here we are...

Very Protective Doe

Last edited:
about 2 weeks ago i watched a roe buck chassing a fox round a field ,got the 17 out of the pickup but they ran through a hedge!

My mate and I were foxing a few weeks ago and he was watching a group of roe and a fox appeared,my mate was just lining up for the shot and the doe charged the fox until it decided to vacate the field,you may have already read this on a thread it wrote

Was out stalking yesterday, saw loads of does (no bucks, typical) all the does had young with or near them
Got back to the car and met the keeper, he had his terrier with him and it looked out of sorts, all nervous and jumpy
Apparently it had been chased by a roe doe and she had got darn close to stomping him a few times
I have seen roe deer chase off muntjac before, but not a dog

We have a doe locally which is protective of her young to the extreme last week she knocked a lab over and when the woman walking the dog went to intervene she was charged and hit by the doe luckily she stated clear of hoves. Apparantly this we think the same doe has done this before for the past few years.
hopefully it is putting dog walkers off going there as there is no right of way.
anyone else know of similer things I have seen it first hand in bucks charging without realising i was not another deer.
also had a cock pheasant a few years ago would chase most things out of his terratory.
seen bully cock pheasants many times, we have locked them up on shoot days for their and our protection.
also seen deer chase foxes, but never had them attack a dog or people.

Hello Roedeerred.

Last Saturday, my wife, myself and our three labs walked our normal route, and passed a holly bush on the way out, which the dogs were very interested in. We kept them at heel, and continued our walk. My 3 year old lab is very steady to deer, as he comes stalking with me, and helps locate shot deer that have run in the crop / hay, however, on the way back out of the wood, past the same holly bush, a muntjac doe chased my lab down the path, bit his rear end, and rolled him over over. I got on the whistle to recall him, and he was straight back to me tail under, and ears pinned back, with the doe chasing him all the way. She just stopped 5 feet from me on the path, barking, and only grudgingly walked back in to the holly bush, still barking.

I have been stalking 15 years, and never seen such an agressive doe. My dog seems ok, but I watch very carefully when we are stalking, just in case he wants revenge....

All the best.

Neil.

Bit in the local paper last week about a roe doe that had chased off a couple of dogs in the country park - SSPCA arrived to investigate and surprisingly concluded this was natural behavoiur, if she was protecting young - great to have an expert view!!!

Back