Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tumbling bullets

tumbling bullets

Has any one had tumbling bullets from a brand new rifle?? with factory ammo?
    tried factory norma 150gr and norma 130gr then home load 110gr v max all with and without mod and all tumbelled
    the rifle is a .270
    Last edited by hamish dick; 15-07-2012 at 19:23. Reason: more info

There's a lot spoken about "tumbling" bullets. How do you know that the bullets are tumbling? What exactly do you mean by "tumbling"? What range did you fire them at, and what sort of groupings were you achieving? What sort of target were you using (paper/card/metal etc.?) and what were the weather conditions?

if that really 'is' the case, I'd say the bore of your barrel is not fitting the bullet diameter (bad lapping job?), perhaps a 'lemon' as BH says.

When I hear "tumbling" I think bullet-profile shaped holes in the target if you manage to hit it in the first place. Serious problems there and if your bullets are indeed the correct diameter, I'd consider humping it back to the place you got it from.

If you mean, "I'm shooting a 80 grain bullet from my 1-12" twist .223 and they're tumbling", I'd suggest changing bullets to something more appropriate for your twist rate.~Muir

were you clipping any grass on the way to the target?

Are you certain you are getting tumbling? Did you see bullet shaped holes in your target? If not what did you observe?
    Was your target paper properly supported on a back board? Soggy, wet or poorly supported targets sometimes result in holes that look similar to tumblers.
    What was accuracy / grouping like?????
    With that range of three different bullet weights something is wrong if you really getting all three tumbling. The 150 grain is getting a bit longish for 270 but not excessively so but the other two should stabilize every time.
    Is the crown of the barrel damaged?
    What make/model is the rifle?

Ian

Where and when was the barrel threaded?

factory or afterwards perhaps by importer or dealer?

The reason is that I am wondering if they have damaged the bore in threading.

will the OP ever let us know LOL..finally, an interesting and challenging thread

just to keep it all going until the OP comes back...

this is my tumbling bullets pic!

its what happens when you put on target at 100 yards and one at 70 in front of it!
    trick shooting albeit unintentional
    went through the 75 yd one, hit the earth cutting a groove about 3ft long and then tumbled its way into the 100yd one!
    twice!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    just to keep it all going until the OP comes back...

this is my tumbling bullets pic!

its what happens when you put on target at 100 yards and one at 70 in front of it!
    trick shooting albeit unintentional
    went through the 75 yd one, hit the earth cutting a groove about 3ft long and then tumbled its way into the 100yd one!
    twice!
    how the hell did you manage to get holes in that target im asuming its a pizza bottom foam thing itriyed that and every one blew up i must be going to fast confetey eney one no looking at the picture think you must be cliping the inside of sound moderator loosening of as you shoot have you cheked that