Thread: What to look for in a pair of Bino's - Apart from your quarry!

What to look for in a pair of Bino's - Apart from your quarry!

I have trawled through a fair few threads but not really managed to get my answer so I have posted but apologise if this has been covered many times.

I have a pair of Miranda 7-21x42 bin's left me in a relative's will. (I didn't get the 350,000 he gave to a charity or I wouldn't be asking this question )
    Clearly they are old (I'm guessing '70's) but wondered if they would be suitable for stalking. (I haven't had chance to go out with them yet, I am a newbie hoping to get out on local fields and woodland where distances would be a couple of fields at most I'm guessing?

What sort of range in UK would most stalkers expect to pick up an animal before setting off to close in on it or monitor its behaviour? This distance is far less than the open highlands I'm guessing? - maybe I should start a second thread for this?

If I'm choosing a pair, what are the things I am looking for?
    Durability,
    Waterproof-ness?
    Clarity
    Range
    Range finder?

If I know what to look for before I go out I can assess them. I'll then pop into my local store and ask to look through some current models.

Thx

With my bins I often pickup animals at around the 1km mark.

This is lowland stalking in Hampshire, I have a few spotting areas where I know I can see them from if they are out in the open.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Durability, goes without saying, the extreme conditions you may have to experience while using them
    Waterproofness, goes with out saying
    Clarity, You generally get what you pay for, if you are buying to maximise the 2 listed above, clarity should be an inbuilt feature.

Range and Range finding.........Not particulary important, especially for stalking, get practice at judging distance, it does become reasonably easy and relatively accurate to within 20-30m.

I would also add Customer Service, I have heard some pretty poor stories with regards to some optic companies, but I have nothing but praise for Swarovski, and I have used their customer service too.

As for the bins you have been left, spend 100 getting them serviced? Might turn out to be a very good set......

Regarding the distance thing....If you are stalking through a wood, you are generally "Stalking" so the binos might just be for confirmation of sex/species etc as you will already have closed in to a suitable stalking distance, open hill, well, you might spot a deer/heard 1000m away with binos, but you will need to close in to take the shot anyway, but I suppose from 400m down or there abouts on a hill would be an acceptable distance to want your binos to perform to there best for ability regarding clarity......

Does any of that make any sense?

I hope so.

TJ
    Last edited by tartinjock; 15-07-2012 at 20:34.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Should have a small silver hawk on them !!

I used to have a the miranda 7x42 zoom binoculars. They were at best ok at 7 mag but the glass quality just wasnt there especially if you tried using them at anything more than 10x.
    Save the binoculars from your relative as a nice memory and buy a good pair of binoculars. good=minox, meopta, bushnell (some of them), steiner. Excellent=Zeiss, swaro's, leica
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

There is a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLC's on here at the moment for 550. I have no conection with the seller only that danpd has vouched for them and he is known to be a good bloke. I would say that is a very good buy. I would then ebay the Miranda ones (unless they have sentimental value) and put the money towards the new ones. Glyn.

Quote Originally Posted by splash View Post
    Should have a small silver hawk on them !!
    Ok I'll let Santa know!

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Durability, goes without saying, the extreme conditions you may have to experience while using them
    Waterproofness, goes with out saying
    Clarity, You generally get what you pay for, if you are buying to maximise the 2 listed above, clarity should be an inbuilt feature.

Range and Range finding.........Not particularly important - Understood.

I would also add Customer Service, - Excellent advice.

As for the bins you have been left, spend 100 getting them serviced? Might turn out to be a very good set......

Not sure, popped out at dusk and from my garden, looking at some items 80yrds away I could still see better with my own eyes but maybe this is too close for the binos?

Regarding the distance thing....If you are stalking through a wood, you are generally "Stalking" so the binos might just be for confirmation of sex/species etc as you will already have closed in to a suitable stalking distance, open hill, well, you might spot a deer/heard 1000m away with binos, but you will need to close in to take the shot anyway, but I suppose from 400m down or there abouts on a hill would be an acceptable distance to want your binos to perform to there best for ability regarding clarity......

Does any of that make any sense?
    Crystal
    TJ

Quote Originally Posted by eggy s View Post
    With my bins I often pickup animals at around the 1km mark.
    OK - That's good to know the capability given the right spot.

All great responses