Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: boat tails

boat tails

was just reading about boat tailed bullets and how much faster they wear barrels out, particularly in relation to them not offering advantages within ranges where anyone on this forum would take shots (except for Offroad Garry on his fallow of course).

makes you realise that you can't really beat a standard flat base soft point, loaded within reason, with a propellant that's right for calibre and bullet weight.

also makes me wonder how much damage I've done by using boat tails where I really didn't need to.

PKL, i have never had anyone mention any concern about boattails contributing to significant increase in barrel wear. how much more rapidly are we wearingthe tube out with BTs? Please share. i have had occasions were boat tails just shot the best of the projectiles i have used though. Particularly in .224 cals hence my use. Accuracy drives projectile choice for many users. I would trade accuracy for bbl life.

I cannot see why the hot gasses on the end of the bullet should be any different with a flat base.
    I use boat-tails whenever possible because I find them easier to seat when re-loading and not for supposed ballistic advantages.

HWH.

I'll try to find the article, but it was very scientific about how the gasses are significantly more corrosive with boat tails due to the design, and that if you fired a good number of shots in a row with boat tails, you could theoretically shoot a barrel out in under 200 shots.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    I'll try to find the article, but it was very scientific about how the gasses are significantly more corrosive with boat tails due to the design, and that if you fired a good number of shots in a row with boat tails, you could theoretically shoot a barrel out in under 200 shots.
    you could shoot the barrel out of eney gun with 200rounds up the spout /boat tails will give you more acurate and less wind drift i would rather shoot a fox 9out of ten than have 4out of ten and longer barrel life i onley shoot boat tails my tikka t3 shoots 80g noslers at as fast as they go i have now put over 2000rounds down the pipe and im still under 1inch at 200yards

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    theoretically my Howa died last time at WMS (200+ round day) realistically it didn't I wouldn't worry too much unless you are loading to barrel burning levels anyway.
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    you could shoot the barrel out of eney gun with 200rounds up the spout /boat tails will give you more acurate and less wind drift i would rather shoot a fox 9out of ten than have 4out of ten and longer barrel life i onley shoot boat tails my tikka t3 shoots 80g noslers at as fast as they go i have now put over 2000rounds down the pipe and im still under 1inch at 200yards
    More accurate?

Hmmm wonder where you got that idea from?

How strange I just did a quick search for 6mm Bench rest match bullets and low 'n' behold they are flat based HP.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    More accurate?

Hmmm wonder where you got that idea from?

How strange I just did a quick search for 6mm Bench rest match bullets and low 'n' behold they are flat based HP.
    i live and learn bud still have boat tail over flat bottom

Might just be a barrel thing. His suits boat tails.

David.

PKL, some barrels prefer a boattail over a flat base. 200 rounds in quick succession is by my experience, something that will not likely happen often if at all in a bolt gun with normal use even if culling vermin. I do not see this as a reason to stop using Bts. Do you?