Thread: Red letter weekend at Bunwell

Red letter weekend at Bunwell

After a very kind invite back, 13th would prove to be a lucky weekend on my part.
    Although, the 5 hour drive from Wales was sum what hampered by being stuck in traffic for an hour.
    Anyway, Friday evening Mark and I stalked around a wood and into a high seat where we saw a few muntjak does and a roe doe,almost appearing as if by magic and disappearing in the same fashion.
    Saturday am saw me and rob stalk another area again around and into a wood, where we decided to stop,rob suggested to move out into the open field to scan the margins and said that if anything was to pop out shoot.

He turned and took 1 step when again as if by magic a deer appeared right in front of us along the ride no more than 50yards or so.
    At first,i was shocked and had to ask if it was a munty or a hare,bloody hell its a munty and a buck,but would he stay still would he bugger.
    He just kept coming towards me looking straight at me.Rob had his back to the deer and dare not move, when he eventually turned broad side,BANG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120714_060644.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	606.3 KB 
ID:	17564

On the way back through the wood we bumped a roe buck,bloody bad luck,i don't know if was there the whole time or came after we past.
    We went on to another area again stalking the outskirts of a field,the cover was high and difficult to see,as we made our way a buck jumped from behind and started barking like a good un,never mind.

After a few hours kip,we were out again rob and i,this time on our way to the field,we stopped and talked to someone walking along the footpath.
    we drove along the hedge past a small cover crop and started to stalk the edge of the field,where eventually we would go through and into the next field.
    We stopped and rob had spotted a pair of roe right next to where we drove and next to where we spoke to the people before.
    So,the predicament,to stalk back and directly at the cover to get a safe enough shot as not point at the path.All going swimmingly then we started to stalk directly at the cover,both of thought the buck had gone over and into the wood,again rod's poa was to walk down me ready just in case he ran.He didn't take two steps when the buck got up and ran,he stopped briefly had a look over his shoulder,then BANG.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120714_182101.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	700.9 KB 
ID:	17565

So,a buck in the bag literally 30min into stalking,i would have been quite happy to stop but very kindly after grallochinig the deer back at the larder we were out again.
    We stalked into a high seat,spotting a muntjak doe feeding along the hedge,then another as we sat in the high seat,and another and another coming from our left glancing back every now and then.
    The a cracking munty buck appeared,again as if by magic,but we both just watched him chasing the doe,and looking rather pleased with himself, he was a very nice looking animal.

In all I had a fantastic time,my first roe buck,and a bonus munty,the weather was fantastic,so too was the company and of course the breakfast.
    A sincere thank you to both Rob and Mark and of course Sue for cracking weekend.

Roll on Jan 19th.

sounds like a very good couple of days!

Always a pleasure and thanks for the write up.

regards

Mark
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

cheers mark,
    the roe skull looks good and will be up shortly next to nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    cheers mark,
    the roe skull looks good and will be up shortly next to nigel.
    Did it come up nice and white and is Nigel the muntjac?
    STALKING. WILD BOAR IN FRANCE. SOLE UK AGENT FOR BACONNES DOMAINE DE CHASSE. TRAINING. DSC 1 COURSES AND DSC 2 WITNESSING. FIRST AID FOR STALKERS.
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
    www.stalkinginengland.co.uk Stalkers online shop at www.deerstalkingequipmentandclothing.co.uk
    www.hunteurope.co.uk or contact 01728 745066 during office hours.

'Yes looks good,nice and white, and yes nigel's the muntjac.
    It was my 4 year old nephew who said 'is he with the angels, but could'nt quite get the word out and sounded like nigel' which i thought was rather funny.