Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: trophy mania

trophy mania

is it strange or worrying that I'm almost going off the search for bit trophy's?..nowadays I almost find much more fulfilment finding a good cull beast and leaving the good one's.

I'm getting bore of mounting them too. LOL..

should I be worried or go see someone about it?

Sounds like you want someone to pat your back, each to their own mate.
    One day you might not need to shoot many yourself, you can become a guide then LOL

I'll come and shot your good ones as for mounting them it's up to you what you do with them after they have been shot.

Moose

Sounds to me like the penny has dropped mate and you are becoming a 'deer manager' rather than a 'stalker'!!!
    We should all be trying to replicate nature in our quest to achieve an acceptable deer population which is in balance with it's environment. Natural selection by predators would leave the strongest and fittest to survive. Trophy hunting does the exact opposite!!!!!
    I hope some other 'trophy hunters' on here take note of your post and consider what there actions may be doing to the population!
    You should not be worried...... You should be proud!
    MS

The problem I find, is not what my small action is doing but what all those around me are doing.

I can leave the good ones but odds on the estate or farmer next door will whack it and so the spiral begins....

H

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    The problem I find, is not what my small action is doing but what all those around me are doing.

I can leave the good ones but odds on the estate or farmer next door will whack it and so the spiral begins....

H
    Sure that can happen when they go next door but you have to start somewhere. Its not like every single last deer with a good head will definitely get shot they are deer after all and even in the most heavily shot areas you still get trophies, because they are careful. So if you start by leaving the good ones, sure to pluck a figure from thin air 80% may get shot when they cross the boundary, but thats still 20% good ones still running round with fine headgear!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Whenever talk turns to trophies I'm reminded of the five stages of fly fishing:

1. I want to catch a fish
    2. I want to catch a lot of fish
    3. I want to catch a big fish
    4. I don't care if I catch a fish, I just enjoy fishing
    5. I want you to catch a fish

Welcome to stage 4 of deer stalking

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Whenever talk turns to trophies I'm reminded of the five stages of fly fishing:

1. I want to catch a fish
    2. I want to catch a lot of fish
    3. I want to catch a big fish
    4. I don't care if I catch a fish, I just enjoy fishing
    5. I want you to catch a fish

Welcome to stage 4 of deer stalking

willie_gunn

Great Post Willie_gunn ! Nuff said really.............. You have captured the esence in a nutshell

100% Spot on I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Natural selection by predators would leave the strongest and fittest. Trophy hunting does the exact opposite!!!!!

MS
    I disagree, natural selection may leave the strongest and fittest but not necessarily with the largest antlers, how come year on year there are more and more medal class(trophies) roe recorded, if trophy hunting was doing the exact opposite then surely the quality of roe would be reduced and number of medal heads submitted get less and less.
    i accept there is probably more stalkers showing an interest in getting heads measured increasing the numbers of medal class, but again this should have a negative effect as in theory this creates more 'trophy hunters.
    The quality of muntjac are also increasing to the extent that the points to secure medal has been increased a few years ago and there is talk of it being put up again, as a lot of muntjac were easily making medal.

A healthy interest in trophies can only benefit the population stimulating stalkers into managing deer properly.

Moose

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    I disagree, natural selection may leave the strongest and fittest but not necessarily with the largest antlers, how come year on year there are more and more medal class(trophies) roe recorded, if trophy hunting was doing the exact opposite then surely the quality of roe would be reduced and number of medal heads submitted get less and less.
    i accept there is probably more stalkers showing an interest in getting heads measured increasing the numbers of medal class, but again this should have a negative effect as in theory this creates more 'trophy hunters.
    The quality of muntjac are also increasing to the extent that the points to secure medal has been increased a few years ago and there is talk of it being put up again, as a lot of muntjac were easily making medal.

A healthy interest in trophies can only benefit the population stimulating stalkers into managing deer properly.

Moose
    Some larger estates are able to leave animals until they are just past their prime but still have a good set of antlers. That is good management combined with the added bonus of a good trophy and is sustainable as younger stronger bucks will naturally displace such older animals. Most record animals will come from such estates where they have been allowed to mature and pass on their good qualities. A good deer manager will also give as much regard to preserving quality Does as they will have even more effect on their offspring as they not only provide them with genetics - they give them the life skills required to develop as best they can.
    The number of trophies measured each year increasing is no more than a reflection on the continual rising of the overall deer population and the increased interest in deer 'stalking'.
    If you think you can continuosly shoot all the good animals before your neighbour does, then the deer population in your area will soon be in a very poor and unnatural state!
    MS