Tricky Buck...

dan85

Having a little trouble with a very nice medal roe buck on one of my permissions.

I bumped into him a couple of months ago and have been unable to get a shot off. Seen him a few times in exactly the same place, unfortunately he seems to drift off back into the woods as im approaching a shootable position. (there is no way he could have known i was there).

I have tried lying out waiting for him to appear. But this one seems to be pretty sneaky. Im starting to think that calling him when the rut starts is my only option. (or bumping into him by accident at some point...)

Anyone have any suggestions?

Regards, Dan.

They dont get big by being stupid!!

Get there early enough, check the wind, sit and wait with the rifle ready. Use a call but use it sparingly dont go tooting on it every few minutes. Patient and hopefully he will fall to your rifle.

If you are looking to bag a trophy you know is there then like malc says early is the way 1 hour before light and then dont move from that position for 3.5 TO 4 hours you will get him. You dont stalk a medal you ambush it. ;)
Best of luck

Agree with all above,

and above all don't overdo it.

Your constant presence will only make him shy, one very discreet visit over a week or ten days-ish

Plan your ambush for decent weather go in early and very quiet and sit STILL for a long time.

Good luck.

H

You dont stalk a medal you ambush it. ;)

Or, as in my case, the stupid bugger walks out in front and turns broadside on. A fantastic stalk that lasted all of 10 seconds ;)

At the end of the day it's about being in the right place at the right time. Certainly a knowledge of the ground, and the deer that are on it, can increase your chances, but other times it's just down to plain dumb luck.

willie_gunn

You know the area he is usually in, set up a few trial cameras and leave for a couple of weeks. Download the photos and can then have really usefull data to work with..... Good luck!

If he hasn't got the free time to put hours in looking for the buck - he could get lots of useful info from using one.
Some people might see it as 'cheating' - i see it as a valuable resource.
"eyes on the ground - when you're not around" ;)

Using a machine gun is cheating ;)

(That's a joke - by the way, before people get their knickers in a twist :D )

Last edited:
You've got to mix it up a little. If you keep going at the same ish time he'll get used to you. Come in from a different direction. Pretend your just going for a walk and not stalking (even though you are) your body language will be totally different. Also if you know where the deer are coming from take a walk without your rifle and see what they can see. This can often be very productive as you may soon see where you are making mistakes. And as above stay off the ground as much as you can. Glass from a distance to get to know his patterns.

If he hasn't got the free time to put hours in looking for the buck - he could get lots of useful info from using one.
Some people might see it as 'cheating' - i see it as a valuable resource.
"eyes on the ground - when you're not around" ;)

RS I have never seen or used a trail camera . Would it be possible to collate the information gathered by the trail camera . Get into position 10 minutes before he usually come out , shoot the buck and still be in home in time for tea ? In my opinion when you start using technology to give you an unfair advantage . It falls short of being a sport .

Chill

Back 7 or 8 weeks ago I stumbled on this strong buck and he ran off barking,he stopped and looked back with a fence post covering its body then vanished,I went after it the next 6 or 7 visits,everytime I stumbled on it,,when I eventually caught up with it I was just about to exit a wood and I noticed a doe 10 yards away,I was looking through over hanging branches of a nut tree,she couldn't see me,she moved suddenly and I seen the buck,he looked strait at me,I raised the rifle slowly and headshot freehand from under 15yds,I new it was only a matter of time,would of preferred a longer shot though.

Trail Cameras show whats on the ground and will not help you stalk or shoot a deer. They are a bit of fun i would bet that RS has never used a trail cam to shoot a buck and is just thinking out loud :eek:

Back