Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on placing a trail cam

Advice on placing a trail cam

Hi all,I have just purchased a little acorn cam and I am looking for some advice on where to set it for the best results.i have heard face them north so that they don't get the glare of the sun and face them along the deer path rather than at 90degrees to it.Any info you have found usefull.many thanks

You seem to have it sussed, only thing I can add is set it about 3-4ft off the ground.

Ended up with mine set at two metres or so off the ground.

Initially was at about five metres 'cos I was scared of it being stolen. Still worked well during daylight, but the ir wasn't enough to illuminate ground level at night.

Great little unit.

George

Yes bit concerned about it getting nicked so going to place it away from anywhere I think people may wander,anyone out there make any attempt to hide or camouflage them ?

Yes the prospect of hanging 150+ on a tree for some one to nick is always a concern. The one I have (Trail Cam) is in camo but the strap was black and I felt that the strap was more of a give away than the camera, so now use some old electric fence wire.

Mine is primarily set to capture deer but I also want to snap photos of other smaller animal like fox and badger so mine is set about two feet off the ground. The pro of this height is that a human is more likely to see something at eye level (5 -6 feet) than at 2 foot. The con is that things like nettles and bramble need to be taken into account as they will activate the camera in a wind. I remember once the camera took over 2000 pictures over a two day period - mainly of a tall nettle in various positions !!

Daytime

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...g/IMAG0153.jpg

Night time

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/q...g/IMAG0019.jpg

I have the same camera, here's another tip. Once you have set up your camera and switched it on, walk infront so it takes a photo then go back and check it on the view screen so your sure your capturing the area you want, its suprising how wrong you can be judging by eye.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Heads up on this lads if you put trail cameras about be sure that you dont have eney one with night vision on your ground i can spot a trail cam in an instant with my gen3 stuff if it was placed facing a open hill i could pick up the ir signiture from a thousand yards you can now purchase trail cams which dont give out the signiture eney nob with n/v walking throe you ground could walk off with your gear hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    Heads up on this lads if you put trail cameras about be sure that you dont have eney one with night vision on your ground i can spot a trail cam in an instant with my gen3 stuff if it was placed facing a open hill i could pick up the ir signiture from a thousand yards you can now purchase trail cams which dont give out the signiture eney nob with n/v walking throe you ground could walk off with your gear hope it helps

Good thinking, Robert. It never occurred to me, and I'm an nv user.

George

Thanks for the replies I will be placing the cam a bit lower than I first thought. And will also test it before I leave it for a couple of days

Which trail cams don't have give away IR signature, to choose from?
    Cheers, K