Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There must be a way....

There must be a way....

To remember seasons, like a rhyme or something. I'm revising for DSC1 and really struggling to remember the dates, especially because the Scottish seasons are different.
    I know that all species are the same in England and wales with the exception of roe bucks and that CWD bucks share the same season as females (1st Nov-31st Mar) but it's the Scottish one's I find hard to remember.

HELP!!!!... and thank God we don't need to remember the Northern Ireland dates.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Hi Si, I just sat my DSC 1 - 3 weeks ago. As I recall, there were only 2 or 3 questions on dates, so its not the be all and end all! For me it was the hardest part to learn and I never could remember all. I used Moray outfitting for my DSC 1 who gave us a day's revision beforehand which was really useful. I also used the On-Line revision / mock exam stuff. You soon get a feel for how much you know and where your weaknesses are, so if it's just the dates, then chill! Register for the On-Line revision / mocks if not already done so. You will then feel more confident - that I am sure. Let me know if you need a link to it. Iain

Si, Deer Stalking Certificate Training Thats the link. The mock exams really show you how much you do / don't know. Iain

As its a multiple "guess" - its much easier than simply remembering the date. The English ones they question you on end at the end of the month. So if they are asking about Scottish dates anything that has an end date at the end of the month can be discarded as incorrect. (exception being Fallow and Roe does) So for Scotland end dates are 15th of the month for Does/Hinds and for bucks/Stags its the 20th of the month.

Also look at the start dates. In Scotland they all start on the 21st Oct for Does/Hinds....

Basically look for the patterns and you will see them.
    Last edited by murrayb; 17-07-2012 at 08:32.

Look at the questions about the seasons in the back of the manual,they questions help you,they will give you the clue to remember.....

As I remember the manual gives you the open seasons and the exams asks for the closed seasons or viseversa so it is a bit tricky.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by IainDB View Post
    Si, Deer Stalking Certificate Training Thats the link. The mock exams really show you how much you do / don't know. Iain
    I've already enrolled on one of these e-learning courses and from this I have managed to highlight my strengths and weaknesses... my best score is hygiene, 98% in the mock test, ID - 95% and standard questions - 86%
    Remembering dates has always caused me problems throughout my life, usually I carry a card with all the dates on that came with BASC membership.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Hi Si all you have to remember about Scottish seasons, is that they mostly start and finish in the middle of the month.

Hi Si

I did my DSC L1 at Donington in May and was told that with regards to dates in the exam there would probably only be 1 or at the very most 2 questions on dates.

Hope this helps a little.

Wayne
    If at first you don't succeed, reload

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    To remember seasons, like a rhyme or something. I'm revising for DSC1 and really struggling to remember the dates, especially because the Scottish seasons are different.
    I know that all species are the same in England and wales with the exception of roe bucks and that CWD bucks share the same season as females (1st Nov-31st Mar) but it's the Scottish one's I find hard to remember.

HELP!!!!... and thank God we don't need to remember the Northern Ireland dates.
    On my DSC1 Tim Davies came up with Nice Mares (Nov - Mar) for hinds/does and A*s Oles (Apr - Oct) for Roe bucks. I'm sure there were others. I don't remember too many Scottish ones coming up on the test so why drive yourself mad learning them unless you want 100%?