Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultrasoninc Cleaning

Ultrasoninc Cleaning

Now I am a total convert to Ultrasonic Cleaning of cases using Citric Acid nothing comes close IMHO

However I have thought about cleaning my dies in the Ultrasoninc cleaner however the citric acid solution turns steel black so have any of you guys used your ultrasonic cleaner for your dies or other steel items?

If so what were the results and what soluton did you use?

Citric acid will remove zinc from the surface of the brass, you can tell when by a pinkish appearance.

Haven't used mine for anything else, but often think about putting my dies in it ! Would probably use SeaClean or hot soapy water.

Try dishwasher tablets for the dies.

I use warm water/vinegar/fairy liquid for my brass in the ultrasonic - brings em up like new!
    I do rinse em in a tub of clean water with bicarb of soda to neutralise the acid from the vinegar and a final rinse in cool fresh water

Never cleaned my dies - might give it a go

Daz
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

I knackered a die putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner with water only. The coating came off. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by baconbuttie View Post
    Citric acid will remove zinc from the surface of the brass, you can tell when by a pinkish appearance.

Haven't used mine for anything else, but often think about putting my dies in it ! Would probably use SeaClean or hot soapy water.
    I make the Seaclean

How do you clean the sea???
    "Smoke me a kipper - i'll be back for breakfast"

ha ha
    its is called seaclean
    its a cleaning solution thats used in ultrasonic cleaners

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    I knackered a die putting it in the ultrasonic cleaner with water only. The coating came off. Regards JCS
    I used to use the vinegar recipes detailed on 6mmbr, but after a recent recommendation I now solely use Hornady sonic clean solution, amazed with the improvement, and no more neutralising. Not tried anything other than brass at present, but I'll have a read on the carton later and let you know what it says.

JCS Can I ask who the manufacturer of the die was??

I used the Hornady solution at first until I tried Citric Acid and only using 2 tea spoons per tank at only 6 / kg its very cheap too.

Just done 200 243 cases in a single batch using only 2 teaspoons worth of Citric Acid