Bipod fitting advice.

flash222004

Afternoon, I have ordered a Harris bipod to put on my rifle when I get back to the UK. I understand that the bipod requires a stud on the rifle to be attatched to. The rifle is a Tikka M590 Deluxe model with the walnut stock it is currently still fitted with the factory sling swivel loops. In order to attatch the bipod is it just a case of buying the stud adaptor and unscrewing the sling loops and putting the new stud in or is it going to require removing the barrel and drilling etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

oh, then you will need to replace it with a bare stud, or clip the fixed loop off with a pair of cutters.

look in the gunsmithing section
I have just done exactly what you need.

I went for a slight upgrade as bipods are notorious for pulling studs out over time.

lots on eBay
some screw in, some bolt style, some with white spacers etc etc
some come with sling swivels which can be useful if you want to use your old sling
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280915895...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1548wt_1185

oh, then you will need to replace it with a bare stud, or clip the fixed loop off with a pair of cutters.

you may find that the stud that remains will be either too long or not have a big enough hole.
certainly the case when I tried this on a similar set up. worth checking

Sorry to jump on the thread but..............

how do I mount a bipod on my Sauer 202 because the sling/swivel is on the end/tip of the stock?

Martin

Most common method is to fit a further stud in the 'more usual' place. There isnt a lot of meat at that point, so worth using stud & nut arrangement rather than straight screw in fitting.

Check fore-stock fit as a fixed bipod can cause contact problems with stock flex. Depends what your heart set on, with Sauer, Prohunter etc, unless using bipod constantly a 'free' bipod - like the Micro/ Mini stick kit can be less hassle in the long run.

The Sauer stud/ swivel caps the forestock wrench channel and is held via ball-detent system - I'd be loath to put much addition load onto it.

Thank you for the advice guys much appreciated, Moray Outfitting may well take you up on the offer of a bit of advice at a later date, hoping to get on one of your Intro or DSC1 courses after finishing tour mid nov. Might have to dig out a softie jacket as it's going to be a body shock going from 6months of 50.C to the hills in Dec/Jan! Cheers, Gordon.

Martin

Most common method is to fit a further stud in the 'more usual' place. There isnt a lot of meat at that point, so worth using stud & nut arrangement rather than straight screw in fitting.

Check fore-stock fit as a fixed bipod can cause contact problems with stock flex. Depends what your heart set on, with Sauer, Prohunter etc, unless using bipod constantly a 'free' bipod - like the Micro/ Mini stick kit can be less hassle in the long run.

The Sauer stud/ swivel caps the forestock wrench channel and is held via ball-detent system - I'd be loath to put much addition load onto it.

You know, I dont think I'll bother, it could cause more problems.

I never got a cuddle!

Martin

Its no big faff - but if you are over this way try some of the micro stocks and see how you get on.

No cuddle? I can't rely on John to do anything right! ;)

Back