Thread: Posting deer antlers abroad

Posting deer antlers abroad

This question a little different from the usual certificate and land clearance issues:

I want to post some roe deer antlers to a relation in The Netherlands, she asked me for some antlers as she makes her living designing and making jewellery and art/craft items.

Is there any legislation against that, possibly as these are 'animal parts'? Is there a chance this packet will be confiscated and destroyed?
    Just be re-assured the antlers don't have a carcass attached

Thank you!

hi a friend of mine was home from usa he was out with me for a shot he got a fallow buck, nothing would do but it had to be boiled out. i asked what he was going to do with them and he says going to post to the states, well he got them home no problem. hope this answers your question. cheers

Within the EU you can move all meat and products. Wet might be an issue with mail but dry will not be.

Stan

America is a nightmare to post this sort of thing too as it needs to be booked into a port and checked by the USFWS (DEFRA equivalent). Anyway Europe no restrictions and no problems. Just clearly state inside the box it has been professionally cleaned and is a finished product.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    I have sent a cast sambar antler to Ireland,not hidden/disguised in any way at all,probably ok from here though as we dont have the animal health issues that many other parts of the world do.

Quote Originally Posted by johngryphon View Post
    I have sent a cast sambar antler to Ireland,not hidden/disguised in any way at all,probably ok from here though as we dont have the animal health issues that many other parts of the world do.
    No, but getting thing into Aussie will be a drama. I've looked into this for my Roe trophies and they will need inspecting and certifying before being allowed through customs. I don't think this applies to Holland tho.
    Billy no guns.

Not as difficult as you may think getting it into Oz. All I do is to write on the front of the box that it is being imported under condition c9262, non commecially, and never had any problems. State the species and how it has been cleaned. Below taken from http://www.aqis.gov.au

Condition C9262Non-Commercial
    1. An Import Permit is not required.
    2. A Quarantine Entry is required.
    3. Finished game trophies and taxidermy specimens for non-commercial consignments can be imported if fully tanned, free of adhering fat, muscle, blood, bone and evidence of decay. Skulls and horns, if present, must have been boiled.
    4. All consignments must be inspected to ensure the specimens are free of adhering fat, muscle, blood, bone and evidence of decay. Skulls and horns, if present, must be inspected to ensure they are clean and free from extraneous material.
    5. All consignments must be inspected on arrival to ensure freedom from contamination and/or infestation by extraneous materials. If contamination and/or infestation is found, the material will be treated by an AQIS approved method, as applicable to the type of contamination (outlined in C9911 ‘Treatment of contaminants’).