Are we aloud to make our own moderator ?????

exmarksman9870

Hello, OK a simple question am i aloud to make my own centre fire moderator and put it on my ticket as i have the slot, cad engineerd very good quality better than t8 :) how do i go about doing this to keep within the law, it is for my own use not for sale so no proving required. Or is it only gunsmith rfd that can produce them.
cheers

I think there is somthing in the Firearms Act about only RFD's can manufacture pressure bearing components

Just make it and enter it on your ticket as unknown make.... I'm sure it's not illegal anyway but who's ever going to know who made it?

Just make it and enter it on your ticket as unknown make.... I'm sure it's not illegal anyway but who's ever going to know who made it?

Hi Si, Ys i know what you mean but they could say were did you buy this from. Or how did you come into possession of this cheers,,,

Hi Si, Ys i know what you mean but they could say were did you buy this from. Or how did you come into possession of this cheers,,,
You bought it off me, and I bought it off a stall at a gamefair but can't remember what it was called ;)

Yes i think so.

On what grounds, I wonder?

The reason the FLD concerns itself with sound moderators is that when they are used as 'accessories to' a firearm, they are covered by S57 (1) c. of the Firearms Act.

'Components' are covered by S57 (1) b, so may be assumed not to include moderators: which are not subject to control unless they are 'an accessory to' a firearm, which as far as I can tell means that they are attached to one.

You bought it off me, and I bought it off a stall at a gamefair but can't remember what it was called ;)

So i could buy a mod at a gamefair or private from anyone and they dont need to put there name on my ticket saying who sold then ??? Or can i just state i made it or would i be breaking the law by producing a pressure bearing part.

On what grounds, I wonder?

The reason the FLD concerns itself with sound moderators is that when they are used as 'accessories to' a firearm, they are covered by S57 (1) c. of the Firearms Act.

'Components' are covered by S57 (1) b, so may be assumed not to include moderators: which are not subject to control unless they are 'an accessory to' a firearm, which as far as I can tell means that they are attached to one.

But RFD dont sell you them unless you have it on your ticket,

So i could buy a mod at a gamefair or private from anyone and they dont need to put there name on my ticket saying who sold then ??? Or can i just state i made it or would i be breaking the law by producing a pressure bearing part.

Why do people think a mod is 'a pressure-bearing part'?

If I have a 'slot' on my FAC for a .22LR moderator, and decide to use a P-H mod from my airgun, can I not write it onto the FAC myself? If so, could I not just make a mod and write it on myself?

But RFD dont sell you them unless you have it on your ticket,

They tend to be a precautious bunch, and I suppose it is very sensible of them to behave like that. I always lock my bike up when I leave it in a public place:)

Last edited:
Why do people think a mod is 'a pressure-bearing part'?

If I have a 'slot' on my FAC for a .22LR moderator, and decide to use a P-H mod from my airgun, can I not write it onto the FAC myself? If so, could I not just make a mod and write it on myself?

You can buy .22 mods without a ticket, but not cf . i have asked basc to give a little info but no reply yet.....

You can only buy what someone offers for sale.
People offer .22LR mods and .410 modsfor sale to non-FAC-holders because they may be used on sub-12ftlb airguns and shotguns respectively.
Vendors do not tend to offer c/f rifle mods for sale to non-FAC-holders: I suspect that this is partly because there's no money to be made from it, for why would anyone want a huge c/f rifle mod costing several hundred quid on an airgun or a .410?
Since there's no money in it, they might as well put themselves beyond the slightest risk of criticism and supply them only to those who are authorised to use them as an accessory to a firearm.

You can buy .22 mods without a ticket, but not cf . i have asked basc to give a little info but no reply yet.....

Not quite right
you can buy a CF mod for your air rifle and if you wanted , then get it added to your FAC for a .22 CF or bigger
if you hav a slot at a later date if you wanted to
all you need to do is inform your FEO and write it on yourself

Not quite right
you can buy a CF mod for your air rifle and if you wanted , then get it added to your FAC for a .22 CF or bigger
if you hav a slot at a later date if you wanted to
all you need to do is inform your FEO and write it on yourself

Assuming you can find someone willing to sell you one...

if you get caught with a C/F sound mod which isnt on your FAC they will take it off you unless you can show where it came from.Now you are allowed to make one yourself and enter it onto your FAC yourself by informing your local plod staition,there is nothing illegal about making a mod,it only become a legal thing when you fit it to your gun,hence why it needs to be on your FAC.
just make one try it out to see if it works and enter it on your FAC the normal way,there dosent have to be any numbers on it or make just enter "NVN" no visable numbers
its that simple

if you get caught with a C/F sound mod which isnt on your FAC they will take it off you unless you can show where it came from.
On what grounds would they do that since, as you say, a mod is not subject to control until it becomes 'an accessory to' a firearm i.e. it is fitted to one?

Assuming you can find someone willing to sell you one...

Just put a post in the forsale section for an off ticket mod
nothing illegal about buying one
or ask drop into your local gunshop and order one for your air rifle
if it has not been sent to proof and stamped as a specific cal mod, nothing wrong

Back