Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: And some more

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available

And some more

A sambar hind on heat laying down with attentive stag standing over her.

They were onto me (as usual) though there is a good kill shot offered as the stag stands behind the gum.

Further travelling through the cover yielded a few pics right side.

Left side

Last edited by johngryphon; 17-07-2012 at 21:16.

Good images of a magnificent animal thanks John.

Deer Dog Available
    Thank you, its always good to read a response from people that recognise how magnificent theses deer are.

Some more good pics. John. Some good stalking to get so close to them in such cover. The last picture of him standing looking back at you sums it up, beady eyes, sharp ears and an eager nose no doubt.

Deer Dog Available
    .25-06, Once you put sambar up they do the usual deer bolt and then pull up and stand for ages watching their back trail or bolt ahead then turn uphill and turn again then run parallel above their getaway original trail to watch over it for the danger coming. They like to be in command and if they can see you it makes them feel far more comfortable.

You definitely take a great sambar photo JG!!!

Deer Dog Available
    Luck Benny!

Well done John, they are cracking looking beasts aren't they! I'm guessing their in tight cover!?

Deer Dog Available
    You bet its tight in places Cougar,choked with blackberry canes that drag on every part of your attire/body and lifting your cap or face mask off too.The sambar eat berry leaves at times of the year and walk through with ease either breaking the canes or going under the thick ones. They just slipstream through them and I wouldn't have to tell you Pom blokes how hard and tough they are to get through in a quiet 'stalking' manner.berry bushes here will reach 4 metres in height so we cant see over them.

I was honked by an unseen hind a couple of evenings later at a dozen yards whilst in heavy berry country and as usual never even saw her arse haha.Its only for the deer that make trails through the berry bushes that us humans can get through them (sort of ha ha)

Over the whole of Victoria we have a MILLION acres under black berry infestation according to a gov report I read some years ago and some places are rafts of berry chocked gully`s 1/2 a mile across.One has to be prepared to sit in the bath a week later and pop the the hooks out of the skin when they purple up!

Thank phuck we have lots of other ground clear of them to hunt in.Though when the deer are "on the berry`s" these places can be rewarding to hunt around (or through!)
    Last edited by johngryphon; 20-07-2012 at 20:47.

It sounds rather interesting stalking! Are they there in big numbers?