Thread: .270 or .308

.270 or .308

i have the chance to put a variation in for a larger calibre rifle and was just wondering peoples opinions on .270 or .308 or can anyone recommend anything??

Really it does not matter buy which ever you fancy, but as a rule of thumb for use on the hill .270 for woodland .308 good luck whatever you decide

You'll get 3 answers:
    1. .308;
    2. .270;
    3. something else.

And they'll all be right. I have a .308 (and .243) and love it. Why not try each and see which suits you? Have fun!

wouldn't matter two diddley-squats IMHO. I'd be thinking more along the lines of which calibre would be easiest to get the rifle I wanted in.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerwilson69 View Post
    i have the chance to put a variation in for a larger calibre rifle and was just wondering peoples opinions on .270 or .308 or can anyone recommend anything??
    .308 will shoot any deer in the UK and you can shoot F/TR with it. .270 will also shoot an deer in the UK. I've shot a few red deer with both on the open hill. Ammunition is readily available for both. Reloading the .270 for range work will be a little bit trickier. If I had to shoot one all day, it would be the .308 with 150 gr Federal Hi-Shok. Regards JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 17-07-2012 at 22:28.

30-06 go anywere in the world with it.
    tusker

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    wouldn't matter two diddley-squats IMHO. I'd be thinking more along the lines of which calibre would be easiest to get the rifle I wanted in.
    very good point got 7mm rem mag wanted on tiket contacted a few distributers tikka 6months wait what about 8months ok whats in the uk at the moment we have one remington police in 7mm nearly changed to another caliber id did purchase the rem but id rather have a tikka try the guns first if you know eney one close enughf to give you a shot id recomend tikka in what ever you go for

At real stalking distances there is so little between them as to make no difference. The 308 might have a slight advantage if you want cheap mil surplus ammo to practise. Drop into your local gun shop and see which cartridge has the best range of ammo, or reloading supplies if you reload, and use that to help guide you as all the fancy and rare cartridges are great but getting ammo or paying for it can become a full time job and maybe you are more interested in just getting out stalking. Armed with availability info then find a rifle you like and you are quids in.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Tough question, to all practical purposes there is little to choose between them.

Some may say that the .270 shoots fractionally flatter and delivers slightly more energy?!
    Some may say the .308 shoots sweeter with less perceived recoil?!

Try both if you can. I have a .270 which I love, most of my friends have .308's which they love.

If you are loading the .308 will use abou 20-25% less powder and this could be significant. It is also a very forgiving calibre often tolerating a wide range of factory loads and maintaining acceptable accuracy.

Nice dilemma though! I am sure you could pick up a really good second-hand little used model at the moment without the wait....

H.