Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is it safe to shoot a 222 but not a 243?????

Where is it safe to shoot a 222 but not a 243?????

HI a strange question but one that is very real for us in Cheshire.
    Cheshire firearms LD will not let shooters use 243 for fox as it is unsafe but reccomend 222 or 223?
    However with my open deer condition I can shoot deer in the county with both 243 and 308......
    I would like some one to show me where it is safe to shoot 222 but not 243.
    The result of this is many shooters who hold 243 for deer need to buy another rifle for fox.
    Having said this there are many people who live in Cheshire cleared for shooting fox with 243.

Thats it rant over.........
    There is a positive I love my 222!

Well it is plainly rubbish,and if you were a SACS member they would have that sorted with one phonecall!

What a difference a county border makes!
    I have been given a completely different impression here in Shropshire - I'll let you know when my FAC drops through the letterbox - my FLO may well be reading this!

Had all my deer rifles up to .308 open for fox with no restrictions in Surrey.

Where is it safe to shoot a 222 but not a 243?????

In a less-than-well-informed FEO's mind.

Seriously, though, it would be worth writing to the FEO to exlplain clearly and logically why they should allow safely and lawfully you to shoot foxes with the .243 you already own.

If they decline without good reason (I can't think of any of the top of my head), write to the FLD manager. If that doesn't work, perhaps try the CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 65 View Post
    HI a strange question but one that is very real for us in Cheshire.
    Cheshire firearms LD will not let shooters use 243 for fox as it is unsafe but reccomend 222 or 223?
    However with my open deer condition I can shoot deer in the county with both 243 and 308......
    I would like some one to show me where it is safe to shoot 222 but not 243.
    The result of this is many shooters who hold 243 for deer need to buy another rifle for fox.
    Having said this there are many people who live in Cheshire cleared for shooting fox with 243.

Thats it rant over.........
    There is a positive I love my 222!
    Ranger,

I know for a fact that Cheshire will condition up to and including 6.5mm for fox. You just need to put your case forward in the correct manner. Check the wording in the Guidance Note.

Good luck,

Tim

ITS THE FLD WHO WILL NOT PASS 243 for FOX even for a professional full time pest controller who has 243 for deer........
    Others have got 243 for fox but general from a few years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    I'll let you know when my FAC drops through the letterbox - my FLO may well be reading this!
    I think all Feo's should read this, they might learn a thing or two
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Ranger
    I would deffo challenge this i got my 243 for fox as the pimary quarry and deer as secondary
    It is clear in the firearms act that a 243/6.5 (swede) can be used as a dual purpose gun
    Alb Lee

I have .308,.223,12g slug for ground game,vermin,fox,deer and wild boar......Devon and Cornwall......

Martin