Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muntjac in Scotland

cool - I'll have a few sent over to my region to mix things up please ;-)

Don't worry....when they see the weather up here they will go back !!

please let in be true ...

Well is it a real threat or is it just a one off. We had six released from caulder glen country park wild life zoo over 25 years ago and have never been seen or heard of since.
    My opinion for what its worth is i dont want them here and would shoot on site the last muntjac from Scottish soil?

Quote Originally Posted by varmint223 View Post
    Don't worry....when they see the weather up here they will go back !!
    It'll be the Chinese WATER deer that we get with this weather

I'd be happy to have them. Just like the fallow or sika, wild boar and rabbit which are equally as 'destructive' and non-native but here. While they might be a 'pest' they are a pest that adds a little extra to what's out there. And they taste great.... it's a win win, SNH can go cry in the corner..

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    Well is it a real threat or is it just a one off. We had six released from caulder glen country park wild life zoo over 25 years ago and have never been seen or heard of since.
    My opinion for what its worth is i dont want them here and would shoot on site the last muntjac from Scottish soil?
    I would agree with that, we have enough problems with alien species grey squirrels, mink, wild boar etc
    Its believed there may be no genetically pure Red deer left on the Scottish main land due to the extent that Sika have cross bred with Red's which is why its illegal to transport deer to the islands of the west coast as what Red deer that are there are supposedly pure.

Sika are here to stay to many now to get rid of completely, but Muntjac are still not established and in my opinion
    we should never let them become so, they compete with Roe,and Roe numbers will suffer once they become established personally I would rather have my Roe.

We have enough problems with deer in Scotland as it is without another species, you only need to look on here at the out cry when night shooting or out of season licenses are mentioned if we can't manage the deer we have properly why would we want another species, if you want to shoot other species such as Muntjac

Its easy enough to go and take some days where they are, we don't need them here.

Wouldn't take that many wolves and lynx to sort it all out....

muntjack deer were hear over 25years ago i worked for scotish wood lands and i have sean them in a forest near glenfinnan by fort willam when planting new trees dont now how they got there probaly excaped from some reserve or somthing