favourite shotgun cartridges

mjjl

I'm doing a bit of research and would like to know what cartridge make/model you use and for what?, feel free to list a few if you use different ones for different shooting situations or quarry.
Many thanks.

Woodies...anything! Ive used everything from totally over the top 1s to 24g 9.5's and if you put them in the right place they all fold woodies.
Geese....1's and 3,s (steel of course)
Duck....prefer 4's
Pheasies and partridge....start of season 6's then onto 5's as they get the idea and a bit of wind behind them
Rabbits.....5's but again anything in the bag really
Fox and hares drives.....5's

In fact overall I would say 5's are my favourite for just about anything except pinkies that need a bit more of a hole in them to persuade them they're dead.

Hull comp x 21grm 7.5's for clays, Hull 3 crown 30grms 5's and Gamebore pure gold 30grm 5's for driven Pheasant. Last year I used eley Hi-Flyers 30 grm 6's for rough shooting and liked them. Im going to try just cartrdiges extreme game 30grm 5's for driven Pheasant this year as they seem to be the same as the Gamebore but alot cheaper.

Nutty

Saga 34g no6 for most things Pheasent pigeon rabbits ect. And saga 36g 3s or gambore 42g 1s for foxes .. Saga 28g 6 1/2 for clays and they are not bad on pigeons . The saga main dealer lives down the road witch is handy.

Mostly Clever Mirage 32gram 5's for pheasants and ducks and 3's for the odd Geese outing

All but 1 member of our syndicate use the Clever's but I suspect that's bevause the nearest gunshop is a major supplier of Clever Mirage carts.

For the odd day at Clays I like the 28gram Eley Olympics, do all I need and reasonably priced too.

30g clear pigeon 6's for pigeon
34g 4's for duck
RC6's for pheasant
RC4's for high pheasant
For clays the cheapest I can get as it's only for fun and a laugh with the lads.

Last edited:
30g 5's Hull HP Nice clean hard-hitting catridge for pheasant especially later in the season.
28g 7.5's Eley VIP for clays

I like the special game 32g 6's for pigeons.

When I'm skint it's whatever I can find in the oddballs box!

H.

Rio's are the only one's I've (recently) found that will cycle in my Benelli Cordoba 20 bore ... 24g fibre Top Targets, so I'm assuming the 28g's will be ok too.

The gun was ok last year when I first bought it with Eley CT20 24g plastics but then it started playing up... and stayed playing up despite several strip and cleans with several different brands and weights of cartridge including Sipe RC20 25g plastic, Eley High Flyer 28g fibre and some old Gamebore 28g fibres. It cycled 31g Tecna's too but they're no fun.

Drove me nuts but now it's doing what it should. :D Now I need to buy another 20 to use up all these cartridges that don't work in the semi. :cool:

As for the 12's.... anything that goes bang and what you're aiming at falls down/over.

atb
Fizz

sorry but im an eley man eley hawk best pigeon special in 30 grams fibre
eley vip 5 in plastic
but when in scotland on the geese it has to be rc 50 gram zeros by the way its coming out of a browning cynergy 32 inch black ice for clays its 28 gram eley firsts i know they confetti some times but i love em cheer stu

Paper-cased Eley Grand Prix 6s.

1oz of 7s for pigeons

Alphamax 1s, 3s or BBs ( random selection of former goose cartidges, from when I had the opportunity and lead was permitted) carried in case of fox on rough days.

In the 12 bore

Practice for clays ~ Just about anything in 28 gram down to 21 gram
Competition ~ almost exclusively RC4 Champion Excellence 24 gram 7.5, occassionally go to 28 gram for FITASC or something silly on a sporting layout
On the odd occassion I use it game shooting RC SIPE 6's or 5's on really tall pheasants.
For pigeoning etc, the odds and ends of 5's & 6's I have gathered up through the year. My favourite for windless days roost shooting have got to be RC 4 Piccione 36gram 6's or RC JK6 in the same load through skeet choke. That pull's em' down from a way up!

In the 20 bore

General clays and practice ~ anything 24 gram downwards but I prefer Hull Pro Twenty 21 gram.
Game RC SIPE 26 gram 6's

In the 28 bore

RC 28 21 gram 6's
Bornaghi semi-mag 24 gram 6's
Hull VIP 24 gram 5's
For the ducks, I hand load 22grams of ITM 5's over CSB0 and that does the trick.

Kent Velocity - 29g 6's they were cheap so picked a load up and i kill more pigeons clean with these than i do with any 32g cartridge i'v used.
Best i'v used in a while.
Although i do rate the Rios never had a problem with them on high pheasants.

express 3" 50g 1s for geese (best pattern i have found in a 3" goose load, and i've tryed and tested most of them;))
express 36g 5s for duck
clever mirage 6s for pheasent, pigeons crows etc.

Back