Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Trousers?

What Trousers?

Im planning to get a pair of stalking trousers, hopefully in time for my first outing! But with so many options out there, which ones do I choose? I am on a budget of under 100 and looking to use them all year round. Has anyone got any pointers on what to get and what to look for? Cheers guys!

Charles

Plenty to choose from - and somewhat horses for courses.

For general wear, I keep coming back to as genuine as I can get Poly Cotton 'Lightweights' as used to be issued.

My only 'problem' is locating the some of the special batch made for Guards Company sgts - in terms of waist dimensions!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Some grade 2 soldier 95s (6), some soldier 95 goretex trousers (10) and a pair of long johns (6). 24 plus the postage. You can not get one trouser that does all. This allows you to dress for the conditions.

You now have 76 to spend on other worthwhile stuff.

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.../shopscr2.html

http://www.the-outdoor.co.uk/ishop/853/shopscr173.html

Great point on the long johns, I always wear them when shotgun shooting in the cold, vital for the winter months. I guess its all about layers in the cold. Just scary how much some of the Harkila stuff is, dont know how you can justify it!! Thankyou for replying, its all very helpful
    Last edited by charlieg43; 18-07-2012 at 18:36.

Poly cotton of any drab colour for this time of year, but invest in some wash in Nik-Wax cotton proof for them. Use this on canvas gaiters, and you are breathable and as lightweight as it is possible to go. MOD Gore-tex leggings are noisy, but will keep you fairly dry.

I bought some olive drab River's West Ranger Trousers in a sale not long ago, they seem very well made, very comfy too. I used them in one of the last monsoons (a cooler day too) we had and they turned all the water thrown at them. I am impressed. Outside your budget by 5.00.

Simon

I use Hillman trousers from ICC, good product, comfortable and net let water in, cost about 80 and their customer service is second to none.

Any one used those Stealth Gear troose?

I swear by the Decathlon stuff - I use the solognac stuff a lot and it's a thousand times better than any Harkila gear I've ever owned...and all less than 50 frequently.

The 100 series is lighter/summer
    The 300 series is heavier/winter

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/sibir-100...d_8155602.html
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/inverness...d_8181693.html

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Poly cotton of any drab colour for this time of year, but invest in some wash in Nik-Wax cotton proof for them. Use this on canvas gaiters, and you are breathable and as lightweight as it is possible to go. MOD Gore-tex leggings are noisy, but will keep you fairly dry.

I bought some olive drab River's West Ranger Trousers in a sale not long ago, they seem very well made, very comfy too. I used them in one of the last monsoons (a cooler day too) we had and they turned all the water thrown at them. I am impressed. Outside your budget by 5.00.

Simon
    Wear the goretex under your 95s. Strange I know.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by martinl View Post
    Any one used those Stealth Gear troose?
    Yes, I have a pair. They are pretty good - waterproof and comfortable.

I only have a couple of minor criticisms.

Firstly, compared to my Harkila's they are noisy, as the material they are made from rustles a bit when walking. Not a lot, just more than Harkila.

Second, they almost have too many pockets, and you can end up carrying so much that they almost drop round your ankles.

These are only minor criticisms though, and I'd certainly consider another pair if these ones last okay.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!