Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Oxfordshire Muntjac

An Oxfordshire Muntjac

A short while ago, I was lucky enough to pick up a very small piece of ground in Oxfordshire. This is the first piece of land I've ever had thats got deer on it, so I've been doing everything to keep it, particulrly knocking over a few rabbits and squirels for the owner.

I've seen muntjac every time I've been there, but it's a challenging piece of land to shoot safely, due to the angles and the proximity of other properties, so I took my time working out an approach. Anyway, the other night, I popped over, and there was a buck chasing a doe around. To cut a long story short, I bagged my first munt (and my first deer shot on my own ground, as well as the first I've shot on my own).

I'm quite chuffed as you might imagine! Turns out he's a reasonable size too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	250.7 KB 
ID:	17622
    Last edited by Tom_Ov; 19-07-2012 at 09:45.

great buck and I hope you get a whole lot more, well done

Well done that man!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Nice (jealous)

Congrats on your first Munty on your own permission.

A nice buck as well

Jonathon

SD Regular
    Very nice indeed Tom - congratulations.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Well done Tom, best deer for eating too!
    "Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie

Well done on your solo stalking and bagging a deer mate .You should get that scored to .

Thanks fellas.

Yeah, ironically, never having had any great interest in medals (or the money to facilitate the pursuit of them!) it does look as if I may have got one accidentally!

I will admit to having had a quick measure and a tot up a la the CIC red book. I've cut it though - doesn't that invalidate it or something?

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Ov View Post
    Thanks fellas.

Yeah, ironically, never having had any great interest in medals (or the money to facilitate the pursuit of them!) it does look as if I may have got one accidentally!

I will admit to having had a quick measure and a tot up a la the CIC red book. I've cut it though - doesn't that invalidate it or something?

Tom

The answer to that is, no it does not invalidate it.

There is no weight score for Muntjac only antler measurements so, as long as the antlers are intact there is no issue.

Looks a nice head, I'm guessing that he hadn't been out of velvet long based on the lack of colour.

ATB
    Moses
    Last edited by moses; 19-07-2012 at 14:26.
    "If you don't belong, don't be long"