Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What salt licks

What salt licks

Would like to do an experiment next year with salt on half the shoot to see if it makes a difference and need advice.

1 What make of saltblock would people recommend?

2 what is in the readers view the best way to get deer to benefit from it? From a pole or otherwise?

3 At what locations would you put it

We use Rocky Red - working out about £15 for two 10kg blocks.

Best placement seems to be on top of cut tree - about 4-5' up - animals seeming to relish licking/ nibbling the tree and digging around roots rather than the block direct. Once saturated, tree gets attention for up to a year after block dissolved.

Choose you tree carefully - some foresters get quite shirty about lopping their trees down!

We tend to place a ride junctions/ to side of open areas just off obvious traffic routes - but open enough to get rained on.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

1. Any should do
    2. Pole, deer should not have direct access to salt just lick the wooden pole
    3. Somewhere quiet and hidden, otherwise a farmer nicks it

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    We use Rocky Red - working out about £15 for two 10kg blocks.

Best placement seems to be on top of cut tree - about 4-5' up - animals seeming to relish licking/ nibbling the tree and digging around roots rather than the block direct. Once saturated, tree gets attention for up to a year after block dissolved.

Choose you tree carefully - some foresters get quite shirty about lopping their trees down!

We tend to place a ride junctions/ to side of open areas just off obvious traffic routes - but open enough to get rained on.
    Moray, what species are using the Rocky Red as i tried these a couple of years ago in a forestry block with only roe and had no sign of interest in them that i was aware of.

Has anybody tried the Bushwear ones as they have aniseed in them which is meant to be an attractant, have seen alot of people using the KNZ ones.

Moose

Dont put it in a live tree the foresters get upset if they find it. Dosen't do the tree much good either

Moose

We have Red, Roe, Sika and occasional sheep ( ) on the main ground.

Observed all going for it - especially the sheep - and I know the warning printed on the side of the carton; but does seem to be Red favoured.

Roe seemed much more taken with the Saltz Paste that we previously dotted about. Whether that is the Aniseed aspect or something else, not sure.
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms

I used molasses and they went to it fine but just like Moray not out of a bucket we had a couple on large tree stumps and a couple on big boulders worked great.

Use an old stump from a lightning struck tree about 15 - 20 cm diameter & 1,5 metres high which is still anchored to the ground ie only the top was knocked off..
    Put a piece of a broken up red salt block on the top & retain it with 3x pieces of wood 25 cm long x 3cm wide nailed to the stump to form a cradle for the salt lick, it will then run down the tree stump & attract the deer.
    Martin

Just on a purely HYPOTHETICAL basis as I'm sure no one here would be so dumb -

Rockies come in two packs - 2x 10kg blocks. If carrying by hand it is really a good idea to separate at the vehicle and only carry the one block you need - rather than carrying 20kg and 10kg back. I doubt anyone could be that dim and OBVIOUSLY I'm not talking from experience at all. Nope not me, no way....

Got given some Block Topper ( or Stump Licker? ) - which is some molasses type liquid and a sherbet like powder. When mixed it foams up then sets, seemed to work well but couldn't really tell much difference between treated/ untreated stumps/ blocks. Suspect a bit of molasses will do no harm at all.