Lamping -v- Leccy Fence

Gazza

Was speaking to a mate who runs a couple of commercial shoots re a problem I have had with cubs at a pen. On my 1000 acre shoot I have shot close on 80 fox in the last year but as I am surrounded by local authority owned woodland and country parks that have no vermin control the constant influx into the vacuum I create is non stop.
My mates reply why bother lamping, at this time of year it's an expensive waste of your time, electric fence all your pens and you will have no problems. Whilst I enjoy lamping fox and electric fence around pens will not save lambs I can see his point. Any views?

batter the foxes as best as you can now... or you get smarter older foxes to deal with that other people might take a shot at first. Fences don't kill them but help secure pens better.

I think you miss the point Paul. I started checking pens and filling feeders at 7 am this morning. I have bagged and moved 3 tons of wheat, I assist with keepering on another estate, in a couple of weeks I have 4000 partridge coming, pens to get sorted out, feeders/drinkers to place and then keep filled. Time is at a premium. Last thing I really want is to be out half the night lamping foxes that are troublesome at pens. I've shot 4 cubs in the last couple of days one at 10 in the morning. Believe me I am not shy when it comes to ridding the world of foxes but there are only so many hours in the day. I'll be going electric fences very shortly.

hi gazza, it's called keepering for a reason ,you must lamp as well as electric fence .once your poults jump of the roost in the morning or get spooked during the night. and then when you turn up in the morning to start picking up the carnage you will wish you had spent a few more hours with the lamp some people will tell you they dont get fox damage they are the guys that dont look for it all the best Tam

The Laird, You are absolutely right, the fence is now on, the snares are out, shotgun is with me constantly and the lamp will be burning brightly tonight again.

Last edited:
Surely can you not get somebody else to help you with the night time fox control. I would think that somebody on the site would be more than willing to help with your fox control. Thats assuming you don't happen to be in the middle of the wilderness.

D

Until I read the above posts I did not realise that anyone could be crazy enough to put pheasants or partridge in a pen without an electric fence around it.
How daft are you all.

hi gazza, it's called keepering for a reason ,you must lamp as well as electric fence .once your poults jump of the roost in the morning or get spooked during the night. and then when you turn up in the morning to start picking up the carnage you will wish you had spent a few more hours with the lamp some people will tell you they dont get fox damage they are the guys that dont look for it all the best Tam

+ 1 with the above couldn't put it better myself !

Until I read the above posts I did not realise that anyone could be crazy enough to put pheasants or partridge in a pen without an electric fence around it.
How daft are you all.

Some of the best keepers I have ever met survived without electric fences all their days. Crazy, daft I don't think so.

personally lamping now is a chore but fences are never going to get rid of foxes myself id use fences and snares as they both work 24 hour a day if you like lamping crack on the best fox is a dead one

Gazza
Your foxes obviosly are'nt as clever as ours if you get a fence go off around here the foxes are through the wire in no time,
I have been releasing birds for 44 years and have allways used fences we used to shoot 60 foxes a year but we are down to about 20 now it must be Finbear down the road shooting them all.
We also snare but the fence is a life saver.

Gazza
Your foxes obviosly are'nt as clever as ours if you get a fence go off around here the foxes are through the wire in no time,
I have been releasing birds for 44 years and have allways used fences we used to shoot 60 foxes a year but we are down to about 20 now it must be Finbear down the road shooting them all.
We also snare but the fence is a life saver.
Got played again last night Keith!:oops:, Damned grass is higher than an Elephant's hip on all my farms, grounds too wet for the machinery.

Back