Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wind Turbines and deer

Wind Turbines and deer

I have just found out that one of the arable farms I manage the deer on (Roe ,Muntjac and the odd Fallow) which is about 500 acres here in Northamptonshire, is putting up 3 wind turbines.
    What effect will they have on my pretty strong Roe population,most of which live along a very overgrown disused railway line which runs for about 4 miles through the farm.The turbines are placed 1/2 mile apart not far from the old line.
    I am sure plenty of you have experienced this.I look forward to hearing about your observations.
    Wf1

they'll get used to it... after the works finish that is. You will need to go on the training day for working near the pilons to do with health and safety.

I have ground with 12 to be put up, now there is 5 up. Loads of trucks getting busy.
    Had the Danes over and they shot 6 bucks in the morning in the shadows of the erected turbines.
    Like all things deer born in the area take things as they are.
    I have a working quarry also and the deer can be out grazing with 50 ton loaders roaring past.
    If they are roe don't worry, they won't.
    you cat see the turbine but they are there. No. six was shot after this photo was taken.

On land I stalked near Moffat they put up 40 and while they were transporting materials through the forest the Sika were grazing within 80 yds of the road until the trucks stop and then the deer vanish until the trucks move again and then within 20 minutes they are out again
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I have one wind farm on my beat at the moment and another being built, the deer soon get used to it
    Al

I heard one lad round here lost his permission as they built a clause in to say no shooting within a 250 yard radius

Quote Originally Posted by WARDY1 View Post
    I heard one lad round here lost his permission as they built a clause in to say no shooting within a 250 yard radius
    350 metres to be precise & thats because the landowners agreed to it. As a wildfowling club we shoot a stretch of the ouse with em built right up to the flood bank with no problems but of course we weren't required to sign anything away being a crown foreshore lease.
    In answer to the original post the deer just seem to get on with it and show no concern whatever.
    Last edited by snowy; 19-07-2012 at 20:44.

J

You sure thats the right picture? I'm sure the second from right at the back is William Holden - sure its not a behind the scenes cast picture from the Wild Bunch?
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Interesting topic OP!
    I have some acreage with a wind farm just being built through the middle. This has proven a productive roe spot and so interested to see the result. Thanks everyone for the responses so far.

Quote Originally Posted by WARDY1 View Post

Wardy, is this a local, or nationally agreed imposition??, does any know, or had any adverse outcome, may be that if this pervades, BASC/BDS/NGO may be able to put pressure on the parties who seek the exclusion condition, which results in the loss of a lease. This problem will not go away, on the contrary we will will hear more of us losing our stalking/shooting rights due to this