Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two chances

Two chances

Well went back to check on some of the bait i had left last night thinking my chances were slim, low and behold another fox at it!!! Now he had me sussed from the get go and I couldn't get the rifle out and onto the sticks quick enough, before I knew it he was through the fence and away. Sod it I thought, I'll have a walk down to the edge of the wood. I managed to flush a Doe with 2 young ones and watched as they bounded through the barley at a blistering pace..Enjoyable to watch, these beast really do have some pace.

Continued down through the field to the corner of the wood and thought I'd give the new Buttolo a squeak. Now this is where I could kick myself, after squeaking for less than a minute a nice 6 point Buck appears not 30ft from me and proceeds to jump the fence then the ditch and ends up face to face with me, to say I was unprepared is an understatement, I just didn't expect it at all. I don't know who got the biggest fright, me or the Buck..Needless to say he didn't hang about and was barking all the way through the wood.
    Moral of the story I guess is always be prepared and ready on the sticks before calling!!!

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

yup you learn that they really come close when using a call. sometimes there no stopping them.

Yeah been there,I try to get myself in a good position before I use caller now,live and learn

Will hopefully get another chance this week. Funny thing is every outing I've had I've only seen Doe's but now I know there's at least one Buck in the area!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Quote Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
    Well went back to check on some of the bait i had left last night thinking my chances were slim, low and behold another fox at it!!! Now he had me sussed from the get go and I couldn't get the rifle out and onto the sticks quick enough, before I knew it he was through the fence and away. Sod it I thought, I'll have a walk down to the edge of the wood. I managed to flush a Doe with 2 young ones and watched as they bounded through the barley at a blistering pace..Enjoyable to watch, these beast really do have some pace.

Continued down through the field to the corner of the wood and thought I'd give the new Buttolo a squeak. Now this is where I could kick myself, after squeaking for less than a minute a nice 6 point Buck appears not 30ft from me and proceeds to jump the fence then the ditch and ends up face to face with me, to say I was unprepared is an understatement, I just didn't expect it at all. I don't know who got the biggest fright, me or the Buck..Needless to say he didn't hang about and was barking all the way through the wood.
    Moral of the story I guess is always be prepared and ready on the sticks before calling!!!

Bryan
    Great reading!!! especially when it happens to somebody else!!! I did the same thing some years ago, but still get caught out, you try and prepare for ALL eventuallities, but...that's stalking

We've all been there!! Either ready and facing the totally wrong direction or just not ready.

Funniest one I had was when stalking and my phone started to ring, the ring tone was a fox scream! I shoved my hand in my pocket of my shooting jacket and managed to catch the on switch of my fox call which started squealing like a bunny!! As I stood there with my phone in one hand and the call in the other trying to switch them both off a fox strode out of the trees about 20ft away. Looked at me and wandered back in!!

Needless to say I didnt see a deer either.

'The deer are where you are'!

Good write up.

Years back when I got my first Buttolo I went out well chuffed - had listened to the Richard Prior tapes and everything! Before I'd even squeaked came round a corner and heard a Pheep. Never (at that time ) heard a deer make that noise and with thoughts of the Buttolo and tape fresh in my mind my immediate conclusion was that some other mucker was out with a call! ( I know )... took cover in a ditch and waited as the pheeps got closer - exactly spaced/ timed as per Richard P recommendation.

Preparing to challenge the 'poacher' - along the track comes a young doe! Where she got hold of Richard's tape I'll never know!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I tried my buttalo the other night on a good buck I could see in the gorse... nothing - maybe he was gay?

More likely I havent a clue how to use it....

Any advice?

With calling sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

Our clients are split equally between those that think my calling ability borders on witchcraft and those who think I'm a dilbert.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Out this morning and spotted a doe on a clear fell so I stalked to a tower just in case a buck was around her....there wasn't.

Glassed around the area and spotted a buck in cover about 200 yards away so started to call softly, up came his head, then back down again to feed..called again, up came his head than back down again. This went on for some 20 minutes, he was very interested but something was holding him back....at this point I just happened to glimpse to my right and b***** me there was a buck not 20 yeards from the tower, almost too close but down he went. I moved onto the first buck and he was off in the company of his doe that I had not been able to see previously. That was the reason he hung back, bird in the hand etc! The despatched buck was probably very frustrated being so near a doe in season who had another suitor . This time of year when calling, a buck could appear from anywhere, I should know that by now

The rut here is in full flow. Good hunting.
    Last edited by roestalker; 20-07-2012 at 13:02.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk