getting rid of nitromors

User00003

I used nitromors the way it's supposed to (in stripping down a stock), but it stuck in the checkering and has left a greenish colour on all the checkering areas that I don't seem to be able to wash out.

...so, how do I get the white/green nitromors colour out of the checkering?

thoughts?

Whisky

Or more constructively you need another solvent to dissolve the dike and meth out. Use a tissue soaked in nail varnish remover followed by some alcohol then wipe over with water

White spirit and a stiff nail brush, one with natural bristles as the nitromors softens nylon ones.
I never wash it off with water on stocks as it will lift the grain, white spirit doesn't.
If the nitromors has gone really hard and dry a fresh application will soften it again.

Neil. :)

Nitromors dissolves the varnish into the grain of the wood. This can cause problems if your oiling the stock as it can become patchy. The best way to remove old varnish is to scrap it of with the back of a ground flat hacksaw blade.

Nitromors dissolves the varnish into the grain of the wood. This can cause problems if your oiling the stock as it can become patchy. The best way to remove old varnish is to scrap it of with the back of a ground flat hacksaw blade.

Really that's interesting to hear. Where did you get the information?

I have used Nirtomors on every stock I have done with NO problems in gettign an oiled finsih the only problem I had was when i used red oil then tried to varnish over the top and it didn't work out.

its changed colour because it has reacted to something other than varnish.
good scrub out with a nailbrush soaked in a light alcohol should lift it

when I did my shotgun stock i scrubed the checkering with a toothbrush and some gun wash from the motorfactors. Worked great.

I do believe that the di-structions on the tin say wash off with plain water .................................................... so that is what I have always done. I do not believe the problem with the varnish was due to the Nitromors but the Alkanet root oil i used first on the stock reacting with the varnish. That is the only stock I tried varnish on and most likely the last one I will every try using varnish on as well.

why would you use Alkanet root oil on a crap stock you are going to vanish if you need to darken it before you varnish it stain it simple if its not a crap stock oil finish it

Last edited:
why would you use Alkanet root oil on a crap stock you are going to vanish if you need to darken it before you varnish it stain it simple if its not a crap stock oil finish it

It was not a "crap stock" as you put it. I stripped off the original Poly finish as it had become damaged, before I acquired the rifle I might add ;) I was trying to replicate the factory poly varnish that Parker-Hale used on their American export models mainly.

The alkanet root oil application was an attempt at making the grain more noticeable.

Parker hale never used good wood costs Knowbody would varnish over oil a surface for varnish must be oil free and dry

Last edited:
Parker hale never used good wood costs Knowbody would varnish over oil a surface for varnish must be oil free and dry

I have two Parker Hales that would prove that wrong
factory finishes on mass produced rifles are famously crap, doesnt mean the wood is

my Sako has a shocking finish but when stripped and oiled it shows its true colours

Well I am so sorry but as for varnish .......................................... it's the first time I have used any and it was several years old at that. OK the tin was unopened but???????????? Cold it have gone off or got frosted?

As for your comments on Parker-hale wood your obviously an expert .......................................... so as I am still learning about them perhaps you would share your expertise?

This is my P-H 1100 Lwt just after it had a oiled finish applied:-

339207110.jpg

The factory finish had worn through in a couple of places. I find it a pleasing piece of wood as I do this one on my 1200C:-

PICT0093.jpg

PICT0084.jpg

The ribbon effect runs right through.

The stock has not been touched so it still retains the factory applied finish.

Back