Thread: Trail Camera with Sim - are they anygood?

Trail Camera with Sim - are they anygood?

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with trail cameras utilising sim cards, which can send a sms picture or movie clip to a mobile phone. What I want to use them or more to the point it for, is, stationary devices for home security, so I can leave one in the apartment when we go out, preferably in a back room so any perp who sets it off, has obviously gone through the security door in addition to the front door and is upto no good and rather should be filmed in the act besides that I can call the police during the deed, and not wait until return.

Other uses are for fly tippers, trespassers/poachers etc. I am not really worried about putting them down for deer/boar/mouflon etc., as I prefer the walk around to look at the other cameras which contain any footage, and get to see any changes what the camera does not always catch (and avoid a large phone bill).

Laters,
    Last edited by Magyar Vadász; 20-07-2012 at 10:50.

I have an Ltl Acorn 5210MM which has the MMS pic function, works great when there is a good mobile reception but in most of my hunting terrain there isn't! There are some pics and video on my blog if you want to see the quality.

Video can drain the batteries very quickly especially when the IR is in use.

If your using it to check for poachers, it would be worthwhile going for the newer version with the "invisible" IR lights, not the regular ones which glow red and can be seen.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Thanks Jonher,

It sounds obvious but I only checked the mobile reception this weekend. I guess its going to be static camera's for the fly tippers, but the apartment is definately going to get a mms capable camera, which I will wire to a mains DC adapter to save on the batteries. Just read up about the black LED's, its for piece of mind really.

Regards,

Your welcome mate, just be careful with the MMS pics it can get quite expensive if it's going off all of the time, so practice without the MMS option turned on to get the sensitivity level right.
    Jonathan

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    There are some pics and video on my blog if you want to see the quality.
    Jonathan

The latest video you've uploaded of the moose and calf is a cracking bit of film - well done!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Jonathan

The latest video you've uploaded of the moose and calf is a cracking bit of film - well done!

willie_gunn
    Thanks mate,

It's always great to see the next generation looking fit and healthy.
    Jonathan