Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A lack of Flounders on the south cost

A lack of Flounders on the south cost

I would like to ask any of my deer stalking colleges that also do a spot of sea angling, if they have seen any increase in the numbers of flounders recently? I ask as there has been a very noticeable drop in stocks around Southampton water for a number of years. They are still being caught but in not in the numbers they were for years. I hope the days of 20+ haven't gone. I know the things go in cycles but I haven't found anything like the current numbers in the angling diaries I have here (147 of them written by different people and going back to 1932).

Very Strange.

not sure about the south coast but had a few nice ones to 2lb on tuesday from Glencaple, dumfries

we find down here after prolonged rain that too much fresh water goingt into the rivers drives em back to sea

all the cumbrian estuarys are stuffed full of them i set a 30 hook long line last week end on a small tide and had 17 fluke as we call them and two bass

Is that he south side or north side of Cornwall?

Southampton water has 3 rivers that run into it. so our stocks i think got used to the fresher stuff over there heads. But you make a good point.
    Time to go back to the diaries and check to see if catch rate fell during high rain levels. I will digitise all this info one day when have nothing to do.

That being said.
    The best bait I have found round here is the mighty rag worm. After a good down poor it was like ringing the dinner bell or used to be. We would only fish the Hamble in the rain or real cold. I think maybe the very mild winters we have had here may have something to with it. Even with the fore shores freezing a couple of times last winter. The returns on the catches didn't seam as high as we would have hoped. in fact returns for the last 5 years have been down. Water purity has in proved by the same token maybe that is whats causing it.

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    all the cumbrian estuarys are stuffed full of them i set a 30 hook long line last week end on a small tide and had 17 fluke as we call them and two bass
    Sounds great looks like i will head up our your way then Do you still get sea trout around the fore shores? My dad and I caught 13 when we were fishing lug up there once on holiday great sport best one was 4lb we were using carp rods.That was 30 years ago.

calamanzac on the helford gets full o leaves and fresh water on the south and padstow and hayle and the gannel at newquay all get same problem
    after heavy rain the flounder seem to go back into the esturys dont know about the fowey never fished it one good thing though the bloody crabs
    leg it as well

Quote Originally Posted by d foxxer View Post
    calamanzac on the helford gets full o leaves and fresh water on the south and padstow and hayle and the gannel at newquay all get same problem
    after heavy rain the flounder seem to go back into the esturys dont know about the fowey never fished it one good thing though the bloody crabs
    leg it as well
    Thats very interesting thank you. Do they return when the water levels go back?

The guy I was out with last weekend talked about good numbers of flat fish showing on the grounds he fished
    but what surprised me was the amount of Bass in the area , the Itchen was full of them and a saw a sun fish just a few mile out too

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmart View Post
    not sure about the south coast but had a few nice ones to 2lb on tuesday from Glencaple, dumfries
    I've fished there we got a basket full, great fun and they were delicious !! We had been fishing the wee green stream at Dumfies for Salmon and we decided to take a break.