New to re-loading

geoshot

Uh-oh, now I've gone and done it!!
I went to Bisley for a bit of practice today, I had forgotten that the Imperial Meet was on so wasn't planning on buying anything I was just headed for the ranges for a bit of fun.
However, Norman Clark was there and once I was in his shop on site that was it.
I'm now the owner of a Hornady Classic Kit (which looks beaut! and seems pretty comprehensive); a set of dies, a couple of shell holders, a case trimmer, some powder, primers, bullets and a couple of manuals.
All I need do now is build myself a bench for the press, a shelf for the scales and I'm off to the dark side.
Expect loads of (dumb) questions and pleas for help over the next while.

BTW, I've seen the guy's name mentioned on the site a few times, and I'm pleased to say that Norman seems like a real gent, he was certainly helpful and generous with his advice.
Plus, he made no effort to sell me the dearest kit in his stock, he pointed me towards what he thought I really needed, for instance he steered me towards standard dies instead of match grade.
Of course, I went for the match...........

Enough for now, I'm off to start reading my manuals :D.

ATB
Geoshot

If you know somebody who loads their own and can show you the ropes you will pick it up a lot quicker,it isn't hard to do.regards swarovski

I've been pulled in hook, line and sinker. Got my kit a couple of weeks ago, sat with a friend to load my first 20 rounds, then loaded 20 myself.
Very satisfying seeing the results, and looking forward to loading for next weekend at the range.

I would definitely agree with Swarovski - sit with someone whilst you do you first rounds or find a reasonably priced course - the practical guidance is invaluable in addition to manuals and internet research. Internet resource doesn't always mean what you read on SD - there are an awful lot of experienced reloaders on this forum but also some advice to be wary of!

Have fun!

Thanks for the advice
I plan to read all the manuals I can and then start getting some help and advice from a few people I know who are serious re-loaders.
The course may be a good idea too, hadn't thought of that.
T

Welcome to the house of fun! I only started reloading about 10 months ago and now load for 223 and 308. It has proven quite theraputic at times, and the results more than proven its worth. I am not an impulsive sort of guy, hence read into this before I commited. I got 2 manuals and read both twice. Even then, there were still many things not obvious to me. There are some excellent videos on you tube, with hints and tips, but be wary of course. One word of advice, read the instructions for setting up your dies carefully - there is a lot of potential to damage cases. If you know someone experienced, ask their advice or a demo. My homeloads have always been safe to date and as long as I focus on what I am doing then all should be fine.

Late last year, I had a purchased a box of Hornady match rounds - one case split on me, that was a scary experience, a face full of hot gas. I never want that again and it makes me load with care and caution. Load safely, enjoy...

I am going to reload for .308w first maybe .243w later
Going to work up a 150gr and a 165gr load for two different rifles
150 for a lightweight rifle, 165 for a heavyweight.
Yep, gonna get some advice before I go blowing half my face off!

I am going to reload for .308w first maybe .243w later
Going to work up a 150gr and a 165gr load for two different rifles
150 for a lightweight rifle, 165 for a heavyweight.
Yep, gonna get some advice before I go blowing half my face off!

Hopefully no accidents!!!!!! get modern reloading by Richard lee really good read it will give you all the starting loads you could ever wish for most any cal powder combo, plus everthing else you want to know and then some,keep inside the safety parameters and you will have no problems just a whole load of fun making and using your own hand rolled ammunition good luck you will love it :thumb:

Back