Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Fox/Deer Round?

Best Fox/Deer Round?

When I apply for my FAC, my choice of quarry for my rifle will be foxes and deer. I am rather curious as to what people think the best calibre would be for both of these as an all in one?

The 243 is the most obvious choice to my mind, but are there more avalible? And if so what are the relevent advantages with that chosen calibre? All info welcome, just looking to learn

hi 243 will do the job and then sum.i got one works for me

I have a 243 and use it for both deer and fox. If i were after a round for both again I would consider the 260 rem. I feel that it offers just that little bit more. The only reason I did not buy one when I got the 243 was limited rifle and ammo choice but I roll my own now so the latter is less of a problem

What about the 25-06? It hasnt got the following round my way the 243 has but is it suitable for foxes as well as deer? With regards to bullet size it isnt too much bigger, but its just that super long case with more powder. Any thoughts on that?

I would say 25-06 if you only want 1 rifle. It has the edge over the 243 with a wider bullet weight choice if you want to use 100grn bullets which are getting close to the top end for a 243, it also has a bit more stopping power IMO. Ive owned both and if I was looking at shooting Reds along with smaller deer, thats the way I would go. If your happy with Roe and foxes then the 243 is more than enough.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by charlieg43 View Post
    What about the 25-06? It hasnt got the following round my way the 243 has but is it suitable for foxes as well as deer? With regards to bullet size it isnt too much bigger, but its just that super long case with more powder. Any thoughts on that?
    I would also look at the 25-06 as the better choice as a true 'do it all calibre'. I have used one a lot for deer and shot a few foxes with it as well, but I ended up doing it all with the same load, a 100grn Hornady soft point. However, if you are looking for the best performance with regards to a better bullet range for foxes and up to the bigger deer in the UK, then I think it is a better option than the 243.

You can push 75grn HP bullets at around 3700fps easily from the 25-06, and go up to 120grn bullets for the biggest red stags in the country given the chance. I also know that Nosler are now doing an 85grn Varmint BT in 25cal which I would imagine would be perfect for foxes, while still having the option of going up to a 120grn at between 3000 and 3100fps.

The extra powder needed is not that significant in costs over the 243 either if you are home loading.

I am not suggesting the 243 won't do the job, just that in my experience with the 243 and the 25-06 the latter would provide the better range of options at the top end of bullet weights for bigger deer without compromising really anything at all in the lower bullet weights, while the 243 may be offering marginally better options in the varmint weight bullets but lacks speed and energy at its top end compared to the 25-06 in the bullet weights I would be wanting to use on rutting Sika stags or red or fallow for that matter.
    Last edited by jamross65; 22-07-2012 at 07:48.

25 ought 6, has to be the choice to make if it were me.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I'd go 257 Roberts for a classic, 75g through 115g or more. pushes 3400 for fox and a more appropriate 2750 for reds/roe/sika.

you can even AI it if you have nothing better to do and too much money to spend

I can highly recommend the .243, though I hear good things about the 25-06.

Do you know what your land is cleared to? - If it's just a single centrefire you're after then why not look at a .270, 308, etc?

I love my .243, but being where I am it's so flat a lot of places are only cleared up to this calibre. If I could get a larger calibre signed off on my shoots I'd just have one larger calibre like a .270 or 25-06.

Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    I can highly recommend the .243, though I hear good things about the 25-06.

Do you know what your land is cleared to? - If it's just a single centrefire you're after then why not look at a .270, 308, etc?

I love my .243, but being where I am it's so flat a lot of places are only cleared up to this calibre. If I could get a larger calibre signed off on my shoots I'd just have one larger calibre like a .270 or 25-06.
    If your ticket is open it is up to you to determine what is "safe" for the ground / shot.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....