Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cards on the table - FC leases

Cards on the table - FC leases

After lots of cagey replies, lack of replies and PM's the tenders for FC leases for England went in yesterday.... we can do no more till interview and there is no need to be cagey any more....
    FC have clearly stated this is a trial and if it works there'll be more (a lot) coming out.... if it works.

Cards on the Table:
    1. who applied for what;
    2. what did you think;
    3. is it a stich up; and
    4. what do you think your chances of interview/winning are.

For what it's worth:

1. I applied for the two in N.Yorks
    2. The process is clearly based on FC Scotland, whinge all you want about the fairness; however, my suspicion is that (unlike scotland) the areas are not going to be lamped to death over the coming months and what's there is there. Price is interesting, I've heard a number of opinions - however the real price to the FC is to not replace rangers as they retire - and in fact to move to a model of supervisory wildlife officers; it's what I would do if I was restructuring them. No matter how much people offer it's going to be less than the cost of a Ranger + Vehicle + fuel + rifle + ammo etc.
    3. Possibly - the two I looked at are FAR more sensitive and difficult to stalk; or shot out with a small population than any number of woods near by. Could be some want it to fail; could just be the first are set out as the stiffest test to see if it works. Also I don't know the areas I didn't look at, but heard some interesting rumblings from N'land (no areas on offer).
    4. Somwhere between bugger all and 33% - really no idea, depends what they are looking for - fingers crossed. At the same time if I don't win all I've wasted is the hours writing the tender.... as long as the jobs done properly and it doesn't get buggered up for the rest of us for years to come.

Good luck to all who have tendered and happy hunting.

Best

OSS
    Last edited by OSS32; 21-07-2012 at 09:39. Reason: SPAG

looked at them both and wasnt overly impressed with the bumble wood site,after reading between the lines it seemed like there was keen interest from quite a few lads in the local area and because 1 red hind had been shot there it,ll command heavy money even though theres to be alot of forestry work to be undertaken in the next few years,but thats the way it goes,the cull figures were nothing to go off because it was just deer shot from vehicles as the rangers were doing inspections.any way ive bid on the broughton banks wood simply because i can see it from home and and besides the public access i think it,ll hold a few deer,as far as the points scoring system and the money having no bearing to the outcome,who knows the FC work in there own little world.i wait and see .NEMO
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

I am part of a syndicate that have applied for one in the savernake, I have been told its not necessarily the high'st bid that is going to win, the FC willl take on the people who they think will get the job done so fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    any way ive bid on the broughton banks wood simply because i can see it from home
    From Durham!!!!!????? guess you don't even need bino's when stalking ... but you are right there's a lot of Roe in it. Public access is a problem but it's a lovely wood - challenging stalking, unless you get lazy and put a high seat above one of the shoots feeders.

Agree about heavy money for Bumble - but the populations pretty low other than the transient reds... you pays your money and makes your choice....

What about the other areas across the country guys?

I bid on the two in Rutland

put in for a ground beside me, know it like the back of my hand and I'm L2, AW F&C with lamping and out of season on another property. Can stalk it every day if it came down to numbers, will I get it for a tenner maybe?

Yes roseberry topping and the start of the north yorks moors can be easily seen from where I live in county Durham,and I take it the lease you've gone for Paul is the one we had 3 years ago?
    only when the last tree has been felled,the last fish caught and the last river poisoned will man realise he cant eat money

Brownmoor, did you guys let it go with the new plantation getting up a fair bit? It's good in the winter months but summer is an arse with the cover

We looked round both of the woods in Rutland
    not overly impressed but we had a bid

Quote Originally Posted by nemo View Post
    Yes roseberry topping and the start of the north yorks moors can be easily seen from where I live in county Durham,and I take it the lease you've gone for Paul is the one we had 3 years ago?
    Oops sorry, Forgot how far county Durham comes down; was thinking of the drive across the 689 through to the city.

Nice view from yours then, I'm guessing.

F&C? Excuse my ignorance.