Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long vs. short barrel / just as info

long vs. short barrel / just as info

As tried to find an old article I discovered an 1994 Wild und Hund ( German quality shooting magazine) in wich there is an intresting article. They used a 98 action with a 7x64 Heym barrel. The 7x64 is considered as not ideal for a short barrel. I know RWS load them with slow powders, magnum or just 1 step down.
    First the selected the ammo that shot well in the Rifle . MEN / Starkmantel ( no longer available) 10 grams ( factory ).
    The test is done out of a shooting device to eliminate all shooters error. Barrel cleaned chemicaly after each shortening. Multiple 5 shot groups are shot with every barrel length and the numbers we get are averages from all the groups.

65 cm barrel // velocity : 880 m/sec // 5 shot groups = 3,5cm at 100 m
    60 cm barrel // velocity : 869 m/sec // 5 shot groups = 3,5cm at 100 m
    52 cm barrel // velocity : 840 m/sec // 5 shot groups = 2,8cm at 100 m

From approx 26" to 20" less than 5% velocity loss
    Accuracy improves with shortening from 65cm to 52cm, as you get less swing in a shorter sporter weight barrel.

So the greater accuracy comes from shortening the barrel resulting less swing?

Could the greater accuracy not be from the shortened barrel has improved OBT over the the other lengths?

I just make a short translation of the article. But it seems logical, I've always thought like that myself. Take a 10 mm metal bar/rod/tube from about 1m long. Hold him on 1 side in both hands and shake it. Do the same with a similar piece of metal that is 3m long. The movement at the other end will be a lot bigger with the longer piece. So the shortest tube has the smallest swing.

It does not matter about the a mount of swing as long as the bullet leaves the barrell at the same point every time. Is this not harmonics?

The table is only true in respect of that particular rifle and barrel. Try another rifle and do the same and you will likely get different results. maybe better grouping with a longer barrel maybe less velocity loss. Each and every barrel is different.

Tests like this are only good folks like government experts as they can pick the results that give the answers they want. Just testing one barrel is like asking one person their opinions then publishing a report saying it's every ones opinion.

Going with the short stiff theory then if you cut the barrel to 8" there would be little to no flex a all!

Deer man, I agree, but I think the less flex the barrel has the easier it gets, to get the same "exit point".

I just try to get a 2 page article in a few lines. Those men also say that this exact results only count for this particular barrel. It just gives an indication. The loss wont be 4,5% in one barrel and 38% in another. It just gives the idea that in these type of cartridges ( 7x64/30-06/270) cutting down from 26" to 20" is no big deal. Even less if you come down from 24" to 20".

Did some load developement with the new .308 16" barrel over the weekend. On the face of it, it hates 150g Nosler BT's, but gives circa 1/2" groups with 180g Sierra Game Kings.

Velocity is circa 2500fps, which is a little better than I was expecting, but I think there's more to come, as this was only the first attempt.

Remington SPS stainless, Jewel trigger, McMillan stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hales Smut View Post
    Deer man, I agree, but I think the less flex the barrel has the easier it gets, to get the same "exit point".

I just try to get a 2 page article in a few lines. Those men also say that this exact results only count for this particular barrel. It just gives an indication. The loss wont be 4,5% in one barrel and 38% in another. It just gives the idea that in these type of cartridges ( 7x64/30-06/270) cutting down from 26" to 20" is no big deal. Even less if you come down from 24" to 20".
    From my own experience one of the most frustrating rifles to load for has been a 6mm Remington chambered rifle that has a Heavy Varmint barrel on it. This of course should give less whip than a standard profile yet the standard profiles have been easier to getting grouping well.

Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Did some load developement with the new .308 16" barrel over the weekend. On the face of it, it hates 150g Nosler BT's, but gives circa 1/2" groups with 180g Sierra Game Kings.

Velocity is circa 2500fps, which is a little better than I was expecting, but I think there's more to come, as this was only the first attempt.

Remington SPS stainless, Jewel trigger, McMillan stock.
    Might as well have saved the money and got hold of a scoped Jungle Carbine or copy with monte carlo butt stock. Your .308 is producing now better than a 303 anyway .

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Might as well have saved the money and got hold of a scoped Jungle Carbine or copy with monte carlo butt stock. Your .308 is producing now better than a 303 anyway .
    Brit',

I guess it really depends what you want. Had I have wanted a Juncle Carbine, I'd have got one, but like most things their age, retirement, or better still, euthanasia is more appropriate