Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last week's shooting.

Last week's shooting.

Ugly stock but it shoots well!
    I spent the better part of last week wringing out some loads through this unit. Sure takes the guess work out of reloading!~Muir

Hey Muir, long time no speak.. so tell more!! Whats all that fandango gear for then?! Looks like something off robocop!

Hi FF.
    It's a pressure gun used for ammunition testing and development. I have access to one when I can get to it. It is really a breech-loading cannon of a sort. Piezo electric sensors hook up to a computer and (in conjunction with some very nice down range gear) give pressure, the curves, standard deviations, ballistic coefficient, and will even log a 50M group on the computer screen without ever having stapled up a target. The gun is fired by a pneumatic piston hooked to a 100psi air supply. The gun is loaded and the operator steps behind a plexiglass booth and pushes a button the wall. This fires the piston, firing the cartridge. The data shows up almost instantaneously on the computer screen in front of the operator. I wish I had one in my back yard but they are pricey. They are the best instructor in internal ballistics a person can have, though, and there is no BS involved when a cartridge is fired in this unit. After 50 shots you'll know exactly whether or not your pet load is all that you claim it is!~Muir

Andy, Definately no chance of one of those getting past your hairy postmistress, EH?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Andy, Definately no chance of one of those getting past your hairy postmistress, EH?
    Ha! That would be a good one. With the barrel out of the receiver is looks nothing like a firearm so she'd probably just let is slide past... but at about 1000 pounds weight the First Class postage might drain the bank account a bit.

I would love to get a 6.5x55 and 7x57 barrel made up for developing 21st century loading data but I haven't got the money. I'd need to sell a kidney or something. Just having the software calibrated for the sample brass to be used would bust my bank account at the moment. I wish I had a better pic. I was leaving to catch a plane home and ducked back in to take the picture on my fold-o-phone. In a large wooden rack behind to the left of where I was standing there were maybe two dozen barrels for rifle and handgun calibers.... costing more then my net worth!

But if you absolutely need to know what is going in in a cartridge, it is the Judge.~Muir

Wow! Who makes them?

Not that I could even entertain buying even a barrel, but it would make interesting research.

What loads were you testing? And did you have any surprises?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Wow! Who makes them?

Not that I could even entertain buying even a barrel, but it would make interesting research.

What loads were you testing? And did you have any surprises?

Simon
    Simon,
    The gun is made by Weisman in Texas. The barrels are lapped for dimensional accuracy and air gaged for certification and then fit for the appropriate pressure sensor. They are a very cool rig, indeed. I'm lucky to be asked to come down and lend a hand once in a while. MarinePMI of this site is also familiar with this equipment.

Can't discuss the reason for the trip to the lab but there are always surprises. What I like the best is the analysis of the data, especially the relationship between the pressure curve and velocity factoring in the time element. It can tell you much about what is going on in the cartridge and how various changes in component will act, or are acting. Lots of fun for (What was that?) a hillbilly with too many guns and internet access!~Muir

I have been spoken to about this gun in length, oh yes I do mean length, and I can tell you now it is like talking to an alien from deep space, please don't encourage him

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Simon,
    The gun is made by Weisman in Texas. The barrels are lapped for dimensional accuracy and air gaged for certification and then fit for the appropriate pressure sensor. They are a very cool rig, indeed. I'm lucky to be asked to come down and lend a hand once in a while. MarinePMI of this site is also familiar with this equipment.

Can't discuss the reason for the trip to the lab but there are always surprises. What I like the best is the analysis of the data, especially the relationship between the pressure curve and velocity factoring in the time element. It can tell you much about what is going on in the cartridge and how various changes in component will act, or are acting. Lots of fun for (What was that?) a hillbilly with too many guns and internet access!~Muir
    Andy, Most of the people shooting long distance competitions are now favouring the short & fat style of cartridge, like the WSM's, 22PPC, 6mm-BR and the new toy on the block the 6.5x47. These seem to produce more even burn rates of the powder, or so I am told, which in turn leads to more even pressure levels.

In a not scientific experiment at all, a friend put his 6.5x55 up against a 6.5x47 in a chrono session, with a slightly lesser powder load the '47 was producing more speed than the '55.

I went to a ballistics talk by one of our better known riflesmiths and left the talk wanting to know much more about what actually happens inside the cartridge and why case design affects burn rates and pressures like it so obviously does.

I envy you!

Simon