Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer species

Deer species

How many of you got all of them on your ground,reds,sika,fallow,roe,muntjac and cwd or is this a carlsberg place.
    Last edited by swarovski; 22-07-2012 at 12:28.

there's a few areas with five species, plenty with four but six? got to be a place or two where they can be there but not necessarily all at once!

Just compared the BDS 2007 survey maps http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_distribution.html with the Beagling hunt countr
    ies map on my study wall and I reckon northhants/liecs (pipewell foot beagle country) area looks to have all 6 recorded there. is northamptonshire really stalking nirvana

A good question but I will bw amazed if any member says honestly they have all six on 'their' ground. For example Sika and CWD are at opposite ends of favoured habitat scale. That said I standby to be educated, and get my Carlsberg !
    Last edited by prometheus; 22-07-2012 at 17:03.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    A good question but I will bw amazed if any member says honestly they have all six on 'their' ground. For example Sika and CWD are at opposite ends of favoured habitat scale. That said I standby to be educated, and get my Carlsberg !
    I would say that my experiance of Sika shows they just love wet woodland habitats as do CWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    I would say that my experiance of Sika shows they just love wet woodland habitats as do CWD
    Have you got them both on the same ground then ?

[
    We are in South Nothamptonshire .There are Fallow, Roe , Muntjac. Cwd are not far from Silverstone,but over the border in Buckinghamshire. There were escaped Sika and Red about for a few years but some over zelous cowboy got them.
    Interesting to here other feedback from eastern side of the county.
    Wf1

QUOTE=Bart308;413589]Just compared the BDS 2007 survey maps http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_distribution.html with the Beagling hunt countr
    ies map on my study wall and I reckon northhants/liecs (pipewell foot beagle country) area looks to have all 6 recorded there. is northamptonshire really stalking nirvana [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Bart308 View Post
    Just compared the BDS 2007 survey maps http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_distribution.html with the Beagling hunt countr
    ies map on my study wall and I reckon northhants/liecs (pipewell foot beagle country) area looks to have all 6 recorded there. is northamptonshire really stalking nirvana
    f++ks sake it's not bad but it's no nirvana it's more a west life !
    Norma

Mainly roe,is muntjac near,my mate has shot a few and his ground links up with mine but yet to see any,been shooting it for 12 years plus,there is fallow approx 10 miles from me.i still find it strange to think I haven't got to go far to see all these other species,why haven't they made it to me yet ,I would find it amazing to go out stalking and see huge red stags,it's hard for me to comprehend that to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    We've got 5 types on an area I frequent! The only one missing is Sika.
    I think the habitat argument relates more to soil type than moisture content though! Both deer (Sika and CWD) like wet woodlands, but the Sika thrive in areas of high acidity.
    MS