Deer species

swarovski

How many of you got all of them on your ground,reds,sika,fallow,roe,muntjac and cwd or is this a carlsberg place.

Last edited:
there's a few areas with five species, plenty with four but six? got to be a place or two where they can be there but not necessarily all at once!

A good question but I will bw amazed if any member says honestly they have all six on 'their' ground. For example Sika and CWD are at opposite ends of favoured habitat scale. That said I standby to be educated, and get my Carlsberg !

Last edited:
A good question but I will bw amazed if any member says honestly they have all six on 'their' ground. For example Sika and CWD are at opposite ends of favoured habitat scale. That said I standby to be educated, and get my Carlsberg !

I would say that my experiance of Sika shows they just love wet woodland habitats as do CWD

[
We are in South Nothamptonshire .There are Fallow, Roe , Muntjac. Cwd are not far from Silverstone,but over the border in Buckinghamshire. There were escaped Sika and Red about for a few years but some over zelous cowboy got them.
Interesting to here other feedback from eastern side of the county.
Wf1

QUOTE=Bart308;413589]Just compared the BDS 2007 survey maps http://www.bds.org.uk/deer_distribution.html with the Beagling hunt countr
ies map on my study wall and I reckon northhants/liecs (pipewell foot beagle country) area looks to have all 6 recorded there. is northamptonshire really stalking nirvana :-|[/QUOTE]

Mainly roe,is muntjac near,my mate has shot a few and his ground links up with mine but yet to see any,been shooting it for 12 years plus,there is fallow approx 10 miles from me.i still find it strange to think I haven't got to go far to see all these other species,why haven't they made it to me yet :rolleyes:,I would find it amazing to go out stalking and see huge red stags,it's hard for me to comprehend that to be honest.

We've got 5 types on an area I frequent! The only one missing is Sika.
I think the habitat argument relates more to soil type than moisture content though! Both deer (Sika and CWD) like wet woodlands, but the Sika thrive in areas of high acidity.
MS;)

Yep.... Chester Zoo....

Really struggling to get them to give me a permission though!

How would all species (or even 4 or 5 of them) co-habit though? Would each of the differet species tolerate the next?

I ask because I know from experience that if sika move into an area and become established it is generally to the detriment of the roe population that was likely there first.

If you do have all on the ground do you adopt a seperate management policy per species or class them all as 'deer' for the sake of numbers in a cull, because pressure on the landscape will surely change between each species?

Curious to know what those do with established populations on their land as opposed to a particular species just wandering through depending on seasonal change, which I don't think really counts.

If it was going to be anywhere, Bedordshire would be a good bet, around Woburn maybe it being the origin of the escapes of munty and CWD.

we have ground close to woburn and have seen 6 species there if you swop the roe for a pere david
regards andy

most areas around and close to woburn are stalked thats true and i guess i am lucky to have several areas there and have done so for around 12 years

Back