Price of Wheat

nuttyspaniel

Our syndicate birds are due next week. Over the last weeks the sydicate have contacted the contacts for Wheat and have discovered they dont have any this year as it was too wet!! Next stop further afield in hope of finding some locally. Weve been told the price has already rose from £150 to £200!! Could the cost go through the roof this due to the weather!! We need 15 tonnes to see us through.

Nutty

Buy it now is my only thoughts
£200 sounds cheap as sweepings may go higher
going to be an expensive year I feel

Buy it now is my only thoughts
£200 sounds cheap as sweepings may go higher
going to be an expensive year I feel

Thats the general thought in the shoot. But will it be a gamble and worth waiting to see what happens. Most of the wheat just now is from France. Ive just bee on some agri site.

Nutty

We did a deal with a local farmer to buy all of his last years wheat
so are getting it at last years prices
The problem with this gamble will be if they can harvest it whilst still under £250 a tonne
that is any one's guess
sure hope you are lucky
ATB

There's a lot laid over round here. The risks from mictoxins will be high. Bound to be a shortage of good quality wheat, beware the rejected mouldy stuff!

Will get it straight from the combine if dry enough all our wheat is usually sold pre harvest anyway,don't panic that's what my boss always says .he is always relaxed about such things .i am more concerned about next yrs cropping BEANS arhhh late to go in and late to harvest .the whole farm in beans hate em .

Spoke to a pal in Yorkshire paid £220 a ton on fri. Price set to rise problem is knock on effect of pellets next year and poult price will rise accordingly. This is the thin end of the wedge because of the weather. ( ps I'm fine as my boss is one of the biggest grain merchants in Scotland so he will always get it for a good price) :)

because of the cost of wheat, poults, fuel (to go see to them), and the wet weather, I have decided against putting any birds down this year. Rather, I'll be spending much more time on vermin control and planting a few bits and bobs of cover as well as trimming rides and creating nice nesting/flushing areas in my existing woodlands to establish a decent natural population.

it's just getting too expensive to do on a 'hobby' basis, and TBH, I'm finding that a handful of birds rough shooting is giving me more enjoyment than shooting 10-20 of the one's I've just spent the summer feeding and taking care of to try to get them to survive:rolleyes: Yeah, I see the release pens only getting filled every 3-5 years going forwards, if at all.

Spoke to a pal in Yorkshire paid £220 a ton on fri. Price set to rise problem is knock on effect of pellets next year and poult price will rise accordingly. This is the thin end of the wedge because of the weather. ( ps I'm fine as my boss is one of the biggest grain merchants in Scotland so he will always get it for a good price) :)

Does he want another order....:coat::rolleyes:

Not sure about price, but yields on barley are awful, coming off at approx 1 ton acre which is down 60%.. Lots in the news re the drought in USA effecting supply and it might be bad in former USSR. May depend alot on how long we get this sun for. Also it will be touch and go for late sown maize, very dependant on degree days and is miles behind due to the lack of sun.

D

Heard last night yield worked out at 2.3 t acre, well down. Not sure acreage probably 60 ish.

D

Back