Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds on the range!

Reds on the range!

No bucks from what we could see but a large group of does on Stickledown range at Bisley.
    Not at all bothered by us shooting very close to them either! They know they are safe as any fur or feather shot gains you a lifetime ban from all NRA ranges.
    Nice to see early afternoon though
    Last edited by Bomag; 22-07-2012 at 21:12. Reason: spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    No bucks from what we could see but a large group of does on Stickledown range at Bisley.
    Not at all bothered by us shoting very close to them either! They know they are safe as any fur or feather shot gains you a lifetime ban from all NRA ranges.
    Nice to see early afternoon though
    Pierre was all but dribbling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reddeer.jpg  
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

Boom, surely you mean hinds and stags?

Which side of the fence were they on? The picture looks as if they are outside the danger area fence!

These must be some of the ones introduced there in the last couple of years. BDS had a talk about them last year - All very laudable & professionally done to try & balance nature there a bit. - Only problem is that it's a too limited / closed clique that has access to the danger areas at Bisley.
    At the meeting I asked why they weren't introducing sika - Ooohhh - can't promote those foreign invasive species!!! came the response - Wot a load of b*******x thought I!
    Still it is nice to see they are thriving there ducking bullets on Stickledown.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    These must be some of the ones introduced there in the last couple of years. BDS had a talk about them last year - All very laudable & professionally done to try & balance nature there a bit. - Only problem is that it's a too limited / closed clique that has access to the danger areas at Bisley.
    At the meeting I asked why they weren't introducing sika - Ooohhh - can't promote those foreign invasive species!!! came the response - Wot a load of b*******x thought I!
    Still it is nice to see they are thriving there ducking bullets on Stickledown.

Ian
    They are actually there to improve the SSSI heathland and stop scrub incursion onto the heath.
    Sika could not be introduced as they are listed in Schedule 9 of the Wildlife & Countryside act.

Its a shame that more has not been made of this project using Deer to improve a habitat and its ecosystem rather than the drivel being pushed by the DI that the UK is over run by deer.

They are inside the fence, well I assume they are as they are actually between the firing points and the butts/targets.

Mr Lewis - I fully understand why the deer were put there (ecology, habitat management blah blah) but it is a fence enclosed secure area so it seems daft to apply the Schedule 9 clause or any other similar excuse. How is the range / safety area different from any deer park that can have sika introduced?
    The only difference at Bisley is all the incoming from the tyros on range missing the targets or ricochets raining down!
    To me it's just a continuation of the old fashioned establishment burying its head in the sand and not accepting that sika are here to stay and have the right to be there just as much as the reds.

Ian