Thread: Measuring a head

Measuring a head

I've just recieved my muntjac shoulder mount back from the taxidermist and I'm keen to get it measured now I was wondering if there's anyone who can measure heads in the north west, preferably in Lancashire?any info would be great

ATB

You could measure a muntjac head yourself with reasonable accuracy as there is no element of weight to be measured. I think if you search the posts on here you will find the measurements that need to be taken.

thanks for the reply, Ive already measured it according to the info on the cic website but would like to get it measured officially if possible, this is the buck in question. Would prefer to take it to be measured personally as its now taxidermied id like to avoid posting it so it doesnt get damaged etc so if anyone knows of any cic judges in the lancashire or northamptonshire region that would be great if you could let me know, ATB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03661.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	404.1 KB 
ID:	17716 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03673.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	17717

I dont know the answer but can they be measured once they are a shoulder mount as the antlers are most likey no longer attached to the skull?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Lewis View Post
    I dont know the answer but can they be measured once they are a shoulder mount as the antlers are most likey no longer attached to the skull?
    They would have to be attached to the skull or else there is no way to ensure the span inbetween was as original.

MS Thats what I was thinking too

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad this thread now doesn't follow "I have a Tick on my penis"

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Yes, they can. I have a gold medal muntjac that was shoulder mounted and then measured at the Game Fair a couple of years ago.

arms01, suggest you PM Tony Dalby-Welsh from the CIC via this site - he goes under the name of cicuk. The closest measurer I can see to you would be Gary Tatterton in Yorkshire (CIC UNITED KINGDOM PERMANENT NATIONAL TROPHY COMMISSION). Otherwise wait and catch them at the Midland Game Fair?

Good luck, and let us know how it finally measures up!

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

They can be measured because the taxidermist will use at least the top part of the skull in his mount ie. the pedicles and antler. As there is no weight element to the measurement, it is not a problem.