Thread: New Ground Advice

New Ground Advice

Right guys ! I have been up to my new permission to have a look, but i have not seen sight or sound of anything. I was up there around 10pm ish and also early morning 6:30ish, the ground is rather over run ( grass up to ur arse you might say ) has its been a while since anyone has used it. I have set up a trail cam next to a small brooke were there's a ( looks like ) crossing. Any advice on what i should be looking for or time i should be out looking. When the owner sorts the land out i will be putting a high seat up ( if there are deer about ).

ATB

Steve..............

You need to be looking for slots, droppings, damage to trees, crops & shrubs, hair on fences etc.

At this time of year it can be a bit hit or miss when you are likely to see the deer as its light for so long & they have a much larger window to feed.

You need to spend alot of time on the ground without a rifle getting to know it first.
    Find out where they are moving, feeding, entering/exiting the woods.

There is no substitute for local knowledge & time spent on a new permission.

ATB

DA
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... it's just that yours is stupid!!

Steve if there is a crossing near or over a brook you are going to find slot prints. I'm not sure which species you have near you but the prints should tell you, no need for a trail cam to tell you that.
    Also you can to get an idea on what may be about by going there at stupid o'clock when dark with a lamp only and scan your ground. That will at least enable you to cover a large area rather than just a snapshot over a few meters.

Good luck and I hope you find what you want

lamp it

Or use an NV with IR illuminator
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Thanks guys, will be up there without the rifle first couple of weeks ( has said to get to know the ground ) and i will try to get up early/late to observe. Did see some tracks in the mud near the water ! that's were i have positioned the trail cam. The tracks were very faint ( we have fallow around here ) so not sure, there have been live stock up here in the past so alot of breaks in the hedges...

I will let you know how it goes..

ATB

Steve..............

Quote Originally Posted by Dekit View Post
    Thanks guys, will be up there without the rifle first couple of weeks ( has said to get to know the ground )
    If that's what the owner has said then you do what s/he wants and its always a good idea to get to know your ground - time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted. However, I don't understand the advice to check out the ground "without your rifle" ...... Just because you are carrying the thing doesn't mean you have to use it. You'll feel a bit useless if you get up there and spy a deer limping about with a crossbow bolt in its face and your rifle is locked in the cabinet at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    If that's what the owner has said then you do what s/he wants and its always a good idea to get to know your ground - time spent in reconnaissance is never wasted. However, I don't understand the advice to check out the ground "without your rifle" ...... Just because you are carrying the thing doesn't mean you have to use it. You'll feel a bit useless if you get up there and spy a deer limping about with a crossbow bolt in its face and your rifle is locked in the cabinet at home.

Fair shout will take the rifle with me. I am up there tomorrow AM so who knows.

ATB

Steve.....