Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunsmoke and Mirrors

Gunsmoke and Mirrors

Ive just recieved a letter from BASC today, asking my support as a local MP Michael Connarty has tabled an Early day Motion supporting a statement. This statement basicaly asks for the house of commons to support the LACS's documentary and ensure animals are protected from sensless destruction.

I have just done this and via BASC's site Ive conatacted him, voice my concern over the misrepresentation this documentary contains.

Nutty
    Last edited by nuttyspaniel; 23-07-2012 at 16:28. Reason: house of commons

Just incase there a few sportsmen which arent in BASC but stay in Michaels costituenty Falkirk East and Linlithgow. You can email him, write a letter or book an appoinment at 1 of his surgeries. Or even a visit and a letter/ email!!!!

Nutty

Is there a Web link to what this is about? I'm a BASC member and have not received a letter, neither can I find anything on the BASC site.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Is there a Web link to what this is about? I'm a BASC member and have not received a letter, neither can I find anything on the BASC site.

Alex
    I recieved a letter as Im a constituancy member, Ill happily scan and post if that wasnt breaching any laws etc.

pm inbound
    Nutty

Here is a copy of the letter I got from Basc. With CSl's permission

nutty

The Early Day Motion referred to is found here
    http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2012-13/311

There's a list of MPs supporting it, so why not have a look to see if your Hon Member is supporting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    The Early Day Motion referred to is found here

There's a list of MPs supporting it, so why not have a look to see if your Hon Member is supporting it.
    Great link

cheers
    nutty

I just love this sabre rattling from BASC. You get the feeling that democracy is some sort of game between MP's and pressure groups on either side.

Checking on the HOC website reveals that there are 437 EDM's tabled for debate so far in the Session ending Spring 2013. This will be halfway through by the autumn when they return from their hols. It's a busy working year as they've got to fit in 4 months holiday, and turn up on some of the 4 days a week that the chamber is open for business.

Mr Connarty's EDM is No. 311 on the list. No.1 calls for free prescription charges for Cystic Fibrosis sufferers, and has the same 40+ MP's signatures. It was tabled back in May but hasn't been given a date or listed for debate yet. No. 96 on the list is the trivial matter of Trident Replacement with 100 MP's signatures. Again no time allotted. Same as above - the EDM is below and is backed by Dennis Skinner aka 'The Beast of Bolsover'.

Last edited by Sinistral; 23-07-2012 at 21:44.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    You get the feeling that democracy is some sort of game between MP's and pressure groups on either side.
    It isn't democracy, of course; but rather an elected oligarchy. Or if you think the Civil Service is in charge, an unelected oligarchy.

The point you're making about the EDMs is perhaps that they don't matter very much, which as far as law-making goes is almost certainly true.

On the other hand, if you find your MP's signature on this particular one, it would be a good reason for writing or visiting their surgery to ask what they mean by it and to explain their position, and for you to offer some thoughts of your own on the matter.

Democracy has to start somewhere.

Has anybody else got a Mp on the list and contacted them?

Nutty