Gunsmoke and Mirrors

nuttyspaniel

Ive just recieved a letter from BASC today, asking my support as a local MP Michael Connarty has tabled an Early day Motion supporting a statement. This statement basicaly asks for the house of commons to support the LACS's documentary and ensure animals are protected from sensless destruction.

I have just done this and via BASC's site Ive conatacted him, voice my concern over the misrepresentation this documentary contains.

Nutty

Last edited:
Just incase there a few sportsmen which arent in BASC but stay in Michaels costituenty Falkirk East and Linlithgow. You can email him, write a letter or book an appoinment at 1 of his surgeries. Or even a visit and a letter/ email!!!!

Nutty

Is there a Web link to what this is about? I'm a BASC member and have not received a letter, neither can I find anything on the BASC site.

Alex

Is there a Web link to what this is about? I'm a BASC member and have not received a letter, neither can I find anything on the BASC site.

Alex

I recieved a letter as Im a constituancy member, Ill happily scan and post if that wasnt breaching any laws etc.

pm inbound
Nutty

Here is a copy of the letter I got from Basc. With CSl's permission

Untitled.jpg

nutty

I just love this sabre rattling from BASC. You get the feeling that democracy is some sort of game between MP's and pressure groups on either side.

Checking on the HOC website reveals that there are 437 EDM's tabled for debate so far in the Session ending Spring 2013. This will be halfway through by the autumn when they return from their hols. It's a busy working year as they've got to fit in 4 months holiday, and turn up on some of the 4 days a week that the chamber is open for business.

Mr Connarty's EDM is No. 311 on the list. No.1 calls for free prescription charges for Cystic Fibrosis sufferers, and has the same 40+ MP's signatures. It was tabled back in May but hasn't been given a date or listed for debate yet. No. 96 on the list is the trivial matter of Trident Replacement with 100 MP's signatures. Again no time allotted. Same as above - the EDM is below and is backed by Dennis Skinner aka 'The Beast of Bolsover'.

http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2012-13/311

Last edited:
You get the feeling that democracy is some sort of game between MP's and pressure groups on either side.

It isn't democracy, of course; but rather an elected oligarchy. Or if you think the Civil Service is in charge, an unelected oligarchy.

The point you're making about the EDMs is perhaps that they don't matter very much, which as far as law-making goes is almost certainly true.

On the other hand, if you find your MP's signature on this particular one, it would be a good reason for writing or visiting their surgery to ask what they mean by it and to explain their position, and for you to offer some thoughts of your own on the matter.

Democracy has to start somewhere.

My MP isn't on the list, but he is pro-shooting and I have sent him an email regarding this early day motion.

I live in a Tory constituency, so would be suprised to see my MPs name on the list, and thankfully it was`nt, however, I have emailed her to raise my concerns, should she happen to see the LACs appalling documentary........

Looking at the wider picture of Nuttys original post, I think BASC deserve much credit for being aware of the EDM (311 ) in question, and subsequently looking to their membership base in that Constituency for support. Yes, it will all be in a BASC database, but somebody still has to do the due diligence to get the names, and a letter out to those members concerned. Well done BASC.... that is more of what we like !!!!

Thanks for raising this Nutty.

Nutty my MP has signed the EMD .I will be make my representations to him , i am going to invite him along to our shoot to witness first hand what we actually do at a shoot and the benefits of the to the enviroment , community and food production. For those chose to bury there heads in the sand and say they will never ban game shooting , look at what happend to hunting ? Unfortunatelly if you want to keep your sport you are going to have to defend and fight it !

Chill

Nutty my MP has signed the EMD .I will be make my representations to him , i am going to invite him along to our shoot to witness first hand what we actually do at a shoot and the benefits of the to the enviroment , community and food production. For those chose to bury there heads in the sand and say they will never ban game shooting , look at what happend to hunting ? Unfortunatelly if you want to keep your sport you are going to have to defend and fight it !

Chill

Exellent mate. As you say defend, fight, but education in my view is whats needed. But as in all walks of life putting the boot in is easier than praise.

Nutty

Checked the list and noted that my MP had supported the EDM. Letter sent along with an invite for him to join us on our first shoot day. He has now conceded that although he supports animal welfare and the welfare of the breeding of game birds he does not support a ban on game shooting. He has accepted my invite and looks forward to spending a day in our company. Another constituant has invited him to a pheasant rearing farm and he also has accepted that invitation. Result.

Checked the list and noted that my MP had supported the EDM. Letter sent along with an invite for him to join us on our first shoot day. He has now conceded that although he supports animal welfare and the welfare of the breeding of game birds he does not support a ban on game shooting. He has accepted my invite and looks forward to spending a day in our company. Another constituant has invited him to a pheasant rearing farm and he also has accepted that invitation. Result.

Thats fantastic. Ive not heard anything from my local MP.

nutty

Had this today from my MP:

"Thank you for writing to me about Early Day Motion 311 and the game bird industry.

I can assure you that I do not support the motion, and agree with you about the need to protect shooting. I appreciate the vital role that the sport plays in the rural economy, and I will continue to do whatever I can to support it."

An excellent result :)

Had this today from my MP:

"Thank you for writing to me about Early Day Motion 311 and the game bird industry.

I can assure you that I do not support the motion, and agree with you about the need to protect shooting. I appreciate the vital role that the sport plays in the rural economy, and I will continue to do whatever I can to support it."

An excellent result :)

Thatll do but would be better if we can get those who put their name to the motion educated.

Nutty

Back