ACCURACY INTERNATIONAL AW PLATFORM &/OR REMY DERIVATIVES

RICHARD CAMIDGE

NEED A FOX GUN USUALLY FOR STATIC/BIPOD SO WEIGHT NOT ISSUE
THE AW IS A VERY COMFORTABLE UNIT

HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED REMINGTON-BASED UNITS SUCH AS
RIFLECRAFT TMR2, AS THE BOXED REAL THING LOOKS OVER BUDGET
SUGGESTED FACTORY ROUNDS 223 / 243?

AIAE cheaper than the AW i have shot about 6 deer with mine in .308 they do a .243/.260 but not sure about .223

Hi
I used to use a 55 grain winchester round out of a .243 and found it extremely effective. However I was recommended to try a .204 which I eagerly did and I now use a 32 grain ballistic tip noslar round out of a remington xr100. To say it is accurate and devastatingly effective would possibly be an understatement.There is little or no recoil to the extent that you can actually see the impact and it seems to not be too wind sensative.

Hi

A mate of mine has a rem police in .243 which he put into an AI stock from the Sportsman put a mod on it and uses it for nothing but foxing very accurate and with nosler 55grn ballistic silver tips really sorts them out.

Dickie

If you speak to the lads at sportsman they will tell you that the rem in the AI stock is good, BUT do's not come close to a AI rifle !
ASK what the .243 groups like at 500 m ? My AI is boring with a V bull at every shot.[/quote]

Splash

No you're right but if you have the Rem in the first place its a cheaper way of getting a good foxing rifle at a fraction of the cost.
I supose its down to how deep your pockets are filled.
cheers

Dickie

Very true Dickie but not worth it if you do not have a rem .
By the way i have a rem mod seven and it is my favorite rifle its deadly, but it is not a range rifle as the thin barrel gets to hot !

Splash

I have a Rem Sendero in .25-06 big heavy lump (bit like me)
but very accurate close and far plus you can get a couple off with no change.
I'm about to change the trigger on it for something a little different but it would be the last rifle I would get rid of.

cheers

Dickie.

I have an AIAW and wouldn't part with it. It'll shoot V bulls all day long. The AE is almost as good, will easily outshoot most rifles and is approx half the price.

The rem sendero has an excellent stock but it's still a rem. You'll be forever tinkering with it.

I also own a Steyr SSG69 P2. Very accurate gun and you'll get it with a decent scope with change from £2000.

Marc

hi I also looked at Rem based 'toys' for foxing and highseat work and knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself tinkering.
In the end I bought an SSG69 in .243, and spent the money I'd have spent on the stock, trigger, barrel, and blue printing on a good scope and mounts. I use it out to about 400 metres on paper. Can't fault it for a factory rifle with no modification. It's for sale in the classified section now as I'm looking for a bigger calibre.

Sounds like your set on the AI system and if weight isn't an issue, buy once - pay a bit more and get an AE or AW, you wont regret it.

The AICS system is ok, but it isn't an AE or AW, the rifle will still be a Rem 700 (with a stock rem barrel) in an AICS stock - two different animals and when / if you come to sell, the price will reflect this - a genuine AI will hold the price - ive seen 7 yr old rifles going for over 2.5k.

A 2nd hand Rem 700 even in an AICS is only worth well 50% of buying price even in good cond)

There is a 7 month wait on AI rifles at the moment - unless you can find one secondhand and they are due a 15% price increase on new quite soon.

(Good job I have an AW then ;) )

If your set on an AICS I would ask why, because a stock Rem 700 in a HS stock is as good (both have aluminium spine chassis and are pretty stable platforms to start with) and aside from cosmetics very nice to shoot.

Before anyone goes off on one about prices and affordability / accuracy - I have Rem 700's, customs and AI's - you pay your money and take your choice....... :evil:

JMO ;)

For an AW yur looking at in excess of 3 grand, it is something to say you own one, and by all accounts they shoot very well. Rugged design extremely tough with tolerance built in to stop mud from clogging up the action etc. For that price you could have a fully customised job on a surgeon action, or any other custom job. Krieger/border barrel, jewel trigger, stuff it into the AI system and you have a rifle that will shoot better than the AI in any calibre you want 243 or 243Ackley. For some ideas try this website should give you alot of them, really good articles and info.
www.6mmbr.com
Hope this is of some use.

Alled12 i take it you don't know much about the AI AW ?

It HAS a border barrel and the trigger is a two stage not a single stage like the jewell trigger,and the action is pretty trick too.

I have a AIAE the cheep AI and rifles with jewell triggers, the jewells are fantastic but the are not as good as the AI triggers IMO.

OH i forgot to add the AIAE is a full custom rifle !

I do no a little bit about them, I was thinking of saving to buy one, but given the cost I decided that potentially the rifle I described above will shoot better, I am afraid. Dont get me wrong the AI AW is a serious bit of kit. I am fully aware that they use border barrels as their main supplier, and that they shoot pretty damn well, but to say that they are a fully custom rifle I cant see as being correct, they are a factory produced rifle, not in the way a remington or sako is made but they are a factory produced rifle. They do have tolerances that are a lot closer than those of the previous mentioned rifles. Each to their own personally I would rather the one I described and you prefer the AI simple. They will both shoot better than we can I am sure.

Hi mate, this is just out of interest by the way: in which trials did the TRG and RPA outperform the AW? I really like the TRGs so would be interested to read about the trials. BTW if they were still available the parker hale m85 is an awesome bit of kit. Sadly now not made (at least n this country) for 20 years.

If it was not as good as the sako or the rpa why did the MOD keep the AW ?

It's quite common for certain branches of the armed forces to have non standard issue weapons
like :-

MP5
M16 [family]
Glock
Barrett

Back