Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 for 1

2 for 1

Currently have two rifles a 243 and 308 and want to change them for one rifle, shoot mainly muntjac and fallow and hill reds with the odd fox chucked in. Really like the 25.06 (shot one in Scotland and was impressed) but the sound of the 260 and the 6.5 x47 also really appeal, want to shoot a 20" 22" barrelled rifle with moderator and a bullet of between 100 to 130g and have little felt recoil. Any advise/help much appreciated. Happy hunting.

i would go with the 2506, i had a 243 then a 270, but now i have settled with the 25.06 light on the shoulder and fairly capable iv,e shot red stags and large fallow bucks and sika with mine. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jon15 View Post
    Currently have two rifles a 243 and 308 and want to change them for one rifle, shoot mainly muntjac and fallow and hill reds with the odd fox chucked in. Really like the 25.06 (shot one in Scotland and was impressed) but the sound of the 260 and the 6.5 x47 also really appeal, want to shoot a 20" 22" barrelled rifle with moderator and a bullet of between 100 to 130g and have little felt recoil. Any advise/help much appreciated. Happy hunting.
    I think you may have answered your question in you post.. 25-06 mild on the shoulder and a good calibre for 120grn ish bullets. I ran mine of 115 and 117grn bullets. I had a shr alpine which had a 20" fluted barrel, and a T12 on the front..

Nutty

Stick with the .308 if it is a good shooter.
    If you havent got a moderator for it sell the .243 and get a free one-for-one transaction with your police.
    My Sako .308 is a one-holer with 125/130 grain bullets using the loading printed below, but as with all loads of another person start lower and work up. [ Assuming of course that you DO re-load. ]
    HWH.

Stag, I will try some of the Sako 123g but have been told you get a lot of damage?

sell the .308 and spend the money sticking a new barrel chambered in 6.5 HCM on your .243

Have a look at the 7mm-08. I changed my 308 to this 7mm and have never looked back. Inherently accurate and low recoil.
    I run 120g Hornady SP with 43.5gr R15 (2,860 ft/sec - 2,179 ft/lbs) for the small deer and 140g Hornady SP with 40gr IMR 3031 (2,781 ft/sec - 2,386 ft/lbs) for Reds, although 120's will do the lot however when they are finished I'll just stick to 140's.
    If you want a heavier round for pigs or the sheer hell of it, 160g Speer GRSLAM with 46gr WIN 760 (2,563ft/lbs). They will keep up with pretty much any 308 round if you really need it?!
    These loads work for me without any excess pressure signs, but anyone copying them should start low and work up your own load.
    In comparison with the .260 or 6.5x55 there is little in it but slightly broader range and more power (if you need / want it) with the 7mm-08. Having said that I'm just waiting for a new 6.5x55 in preference to the .260, if you hand-load the 6.5x55 has the edge.
    Good luck!

Thanks deer man, food for thought.

Stag, I will try some of the Sako 123g but have been told you get a lot of damage?
    A friend uses those 123gr Sako bullets in his .308 , I got some off him but as yet have not tried them out but he has no problem with them.
    Ignore advice of others telling you to get another rifle as you will incur considerable expense with NO material gain.
    Like the .30/06 and .270 the .308 is a classic.
    Many people telling you to change to this or that will be short on practical experience anyway.
    Irrespective of which calibre you have damage is down to TWO factors, 1st bullet placement and secondly bullet design.
    Even a badly placed but well constructed bullet can give you a headache with the game-dealer.
    Save your money and experiment with what you already have.

HWH.

I fully agree with Stag1933. What do you gain with changing cartridge? What would be the "huge" diffrence between 308 , 7-08 or even 260? I own a 7x64 but plan to buy a 308 myself for diffrent reasons. Short, light ,handy rifle with short barrel is possible. Ammo easely available ( I am not a handloader yet). Not to bad in recoil. Cheap ( military ammo) and comfortable to train a bit. For deer up to 200/250 metre it should be sufficient.
    If I would handload I would try to make a good flatshooting load with a 130 grain Barnes TSX. Zero the rifle with this round/load and maybe make another load with a cheap bullet to practice. Even if the POI is diffrent that doesn't matter. As longs as you shoot tight groups with it , you know that your shooting is OK. Every training session you can fire one or two deer loads and the rest you can fire cheap bullets.