Thread: convert a drinks chiller

convert a drinks chiller

Hi just bought a drinks chiller just wondering whats the best way to put a rail in to hang deer. Cheers neal

Depends on what you want you could build an A frame at each side and put a hanging rail across.or drill the casing and put a rod through from one side to the other only thing is this causes a cold bridge across the insulation and condensation will cause the insulation to break down around the hanging rail. another way is to carefullly take out the existing hanging rails and fix stronger ones with a bar across the top to take a hanging rail.
    I made A frames and take them out and scrub them clean every now and again that way the chiller is not marked and i can use shelves if it has no carcasses in it.

I just got a piece of 28mm stainless tube, drilled (hole cut) a hole either side about 2 inches from the inside roof and stuck it straight through! The metal sides were easily strong enough to support the weight. A couple of pins through the pole just inside to stop it moving and a load of silicone around inside and out and it was rock solid! You could support plate it, but there should be no need. Might get minimal heat transfer but the silicone helps negate this and prevents condensation forming in the insulation. The blower chiller comes on regular anyway. Job done!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I just got a piece of 28mm stainless tube, drilled (hole cut) a hole either side about 2 inches from the inside roof and stuck it straight through! The metal sides were easily strong enough to support the weight. A couple of pins through the pole just inside to stop it moving and a load of silicone around inside and out and it was rock solid! You could support plate it, but there should be no need. Might get minimal heat transfer but the silicone helps negate this and prevents condensation forming in the insulation. The blower chiller comes on regular anyway. Job done!
    MS
    WELL DONE MS THAT'S THE WAY I DONE IT FOR YEARS. I do fit an extra fan in them. Some don't need it.Good for smsll Fallow and roe but not reds.

I just left the very top shelf in and use s hooks to hang off.....

i cant comment on other chillers... i dunnoe if they are all same or different as in the way the shelving is in them

what ever you do ...please do not hammer a scaffold pole thru the sides then silicone seal up the sides..thats just bloody rough and lazy and ruining a perfectly good chiller!!!

mine had a set of 2 strips up each side that you could slot the shelving in.....these strips are held in to the chiller wall themselves by very small screws.....maybe around 1/8" im not sure

remove the strips form the top third of the chiller then make or get made for you from stainless flat bar an "H" frame with small holes that pick up on the holes in chiller wall and use them to fix the stainless flat bar on each side to the walls....simply then weld a bar across between the two
    i dunnoe if you can see from these pics....hope it helps

in the bottom pic you can see the stripping still on the walls and where ive broken it off to allow the flat bar to sit flat on the wall

paul
    Last edited by sauer; 23-07-2012 at 22:13.

Quote Originally Posted by sauer View Post
    i cant comment on other chillers... i dunnoe if they are all same or different as in the way the shelving is in them

what ever you do ...please do not hammer a scaffold pole thru the sides then silicone seal up the sides..thats just bloody rough and lazy and ruining a perfectly good chiller!!!

paul
    Nobody has suggested 'hammering scaffold poles' anywhere mate?
    Neatly cut holes with food grade stainless tube is what was mentioned!
    Don't forget that this is probably and 'old' chiller and might not last too much longer anyway.
    The metal sides are easily strong enough to support the weight or plates can be applied as required.
    Your 'H' frame looks VERYcostly and will add extra weight itself. It is still only supported by the same side walls and by several much smaller holes. It also has areas which are difficult to keep clean. I'm not sure how a neatly fitted single stainless tube is 'lazy' or ruins the chiller?
    Both options clearly work. The single tube is substantially cheaper and can be achieved with basic DIY skills and tools.
    I had several over the years before upgrading to a walk-in chiller with hanging rail system. All of them were basic single tubes and worked well, outlasting the chiller!
    MS

Cheers for all the advice atb neal

MS,
    i wasnt having a go in any shape or form towards your version of the scaffold job i mentioned

i should have made mysel clearer ,, i have seen a few of what i called scaffold pole jobs and they were horrendous, werent sealed properly and with sharp metal edges that would tear yer hands to ribbons
    i guess if was done right with proper hole saws and dressed off fine and stainless used and then sealed right then no probs as you say....i apologise for tarring you with same brush

and maybe its my scottish roots but i just dont like seeing holes put into the sides & i was lucky we got our chiller at a good price and nowadays ye seem to pay a helluva lot more for them...seems a shame to knock holes in it...would like to see a decent one done tho
    , i think my frame has minimal impact on the chiller itself and ive picked up the holes over a bit of length ...weights spread fine no probs at all and not alot of weight in the frame itself, as you can see 3 decent roe hanging which is double chillers lot i would say and never had a prob regarding weight
    as for the cleaning...never had any problems.
    as for cost ....ye you got a point...unless you can do it yerself or got a handy mate .....on that note ..im lucky...im a welder by trade altho i dont work at it now...my father was a blacksmith and we have all relveant gear to do the job, so im lucky there, even more so i can sometimes get the stainless required out of works scrap bin but not often!

paul