Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis

Self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis

We've recently added a few, rather better, photos of the house to the site for Dollag's Cottage on the West Side of the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides.

http://www.7south.co.uk/

If you are looking for somewhere to escape from noise and problems and the pressures of life then the cottage makes an ideal location for an escape. My mother and father have just returned after their first visit to Lewis, staying in the cottage, and were so impressed both with the cottage and also with the slower pace of life and just being able to go out and walk in peace and quiet. In their 3 days they managed to see 2 golden eagles, including one pretty close encounter, and a white tailed sea eagle and my mother even managed to get sun burn while lying on a beach!

As well as being the ideal location for a family holiday Lewis has an abundance of trout fishing, salmon fishing, stalking and shooting.

The cottage:

Enjoying the view of the North Harris Deer Forest (Amhuinnsuidhe) from Losgaintir Beach. I doubt if any other beach in the world has a view like this, especially of an area that is virtually a deer stalking legend:

Last edited by caorach; 23-07-2012 at 21:29. Reason: forgot to add the link in the text
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:

that looks like heaven.

Hi give me more ionformation can you email to ann.rimmington46@btinternet.com and kevin.rimmington@btinternet.com please ohh do you take dogs i have x3 labs well trained both in the house and out
    K C Rimmington

Email sent Kevin, unfortunately dogs are not allowed as the cottage is on a working croft and is surrounded by working crofts all with livestock on them. Sorry about that, it wasn't a decision taken lightly but I'm sure you understand the problems with allowing strange dogs onto what is basically farmland.

Great shame about no dogs as I would have booked in a flash,used to go grouse hawking with my peregrines on lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by tony rentokil View Post
    Great shame about no dogs as I would have booked in a flash,used to go grouse hawking with my peregrines on lewis.
    I know what you mean, but under the circumstances there isn't really an option as you just can't have strange dogs on a croft and in a crofting community. I've seen lots of things done on Lewis but must confess that I've never seen anyone taking grouse with peregrines, it does sound like good sport.

may have passed it today, is it across from the Shawbost Inn?

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    may have passed it today, is it across from the Shawbost Inn?
    Is that the same place as the "Inn Between?" If so then that is in North Shawbost and the cottage is in one of the little side roads in South Shawbost, either way if you drove from Carloway to Bragar you passed pretty close. Not much water though if you are after salmon, better weather for sunning yourself and sightseeing at the minute. If you are looking trout then the loch just to the south of Shawbost, where the road twists and turns a bit along the shoreline, can produce good fish and it will even fish well in a northernly wind.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Is that the same place as the "Inn Between?" If so then that is in North Shawbost and the cottage is in one of the little side roads in South Shawbost, either way if you drove from Carloway to Bragar you passed pretty close. Not much water though if you are after salmon, better weather for sunning yourself and sightseeing at the minute. If you are looking trout then the loch just to the south of Shawbost, where the road twists and turns a bit along the shoreline, can produce good fish and it will even fish well in a northernly wind.
    No fishing rods this visit!

Very little water, never seen it as dry.

I'm sure it will start raining soon though!!!!!!!

Interestingly, the dry weather has meant that all cutting has been late. There has been a real abundance of Corncrakes this year, so at least there is one good news story, albiet no fish.

Also heard that the dolphins in the Moray firth are right up past the \kessock bridge, as there are a lot of salmon sitting still at sea!

Quote Originally Posted by bambislayer View Post
    Very little water, never seen it as dry.

Interestingly, the dry weather has meant that all cutting has been late. There has been a real abundance of Corncrakes this year, so at least there is one good news story, albiet no fish.
    The interesting thing is that I'm pretty sure the moor was drier in early June 2008. I know that doesn't make sense because this has been a very prolonged period and it must surely dry out more over time but on the other hand there were holes in the moor that were dry in 2008 that have water in them at the minute.

However, you are right that there are a lot of corncrakes, there are about 4 on the croft by the cottage and they are still calling away both day and night.

If you are still on Lewis and they haven't had any decent tides it is worth going and taking a look at the sea pool at Gearraidh na h-Aibhne, they have suspended fishing but I took my girlfriend down a few weeks back just to watch the fish jumping as it was quite a sight. They were doing the same thing in the bay at Carloway but seem to have moved out of there the last time I was down, however maybe they are back, and I'm sure there must be a lot of fish holding at the bottom of the Grimersta as well.